Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Losing milk supply

Default Re: Losing milk supply

Can your friend call an LLL Leader or a Lactation consultant? Post here? Or do you have more info? (age of baby, what mom has tried, etc.)

please feel welcome to start your own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Aw, mama! So sorry to hear that you haven't yet hit the magic turnaround point...

It's amazing that you got your LO to latch on. That's huge, and it points to incredible patience and persistence on your part. Once the tongue-tie has been released, I hope that his efficiency at the breast will improve. FWIW, most babies will take a large feed from a bottle even after a perfectly adequate feed at the breast, due to the mechanics of bottle-feeding- a baby has to swallow when he sucks on a bottle, or he's going to choke. I once fed my 3 week old baby 5 oz from a bottle after she nursed (getting perhaps an oz)- and I really only realized that I had overfed her when she puked up almost the entire bottle.

The pump absolutely should not be "shredding" your nipples. That really points to some sort of issue with suction (too high?) or flange size (too small/too large). Trying a different size of shield/flange may help.
    I think the problem with the pump is probably a combination of flange and suction. On the double pump the suction is a dial ( which you have to operate without access to your hands) and there's a fine line between too little and too much suction and I don't have that fine control with my toes! The flange isn't interchangeable as far as I'm aware on the hire pump. My own pump is more comfortable, but a single pump so takes longer.

We had the tongue tie divided on Thursday and he is now much better at latching. It is, however, now far more painful. I can no longer hold him near to my breasts at all, and I seem to spend about half hour after every feed just crying. He also still roots for food and so I'm still having to pump.

I spent all of yesterday going to different feeding clinics to get help. They all said his latch was now good and one consultant suggested Reynards syndrome, but I don't know what I can do about that - it is unbearably painful whatever it is. The 'shredding' I was complaining about from the pump is nothing compared to this.

I'm quite down about it to be fair. I've spent 6 weeks wanting him to latch and now he can and can feed its so painful I don't think I can do it!! I sought help assuming it was my positioning that was wrong, but the breastfeeding consultants said it was fine.

My nipples are pink when they come out of his mouth, but then they go white and really solid shortly after and having clothes touching them is unbearable. After about half hour they go dark dark purple and then very slowly return to normal colour in time for the next feed.

I can't do it. I'm currently pumping and my husband is giving him a bottle of ebm. Any advice? Or have I reached the end of the road?
    Last edited by @llli*pixi; March 1st, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

No one said what to do about Reynard Syndrome?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    No one said what to do about Reynard Syndrome?
    No, it was more or less mentioned as an afterthought, so is there anything which can be done?

Yes, definitely! It's not Reynard's, BTW, but Raynaud's. This link from kellymom is a good place to start: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/ Start by eliminating caffeine (if possible, ha ha!) and applying heat to the nipple immediately are nursing- a heating pad, a hot water bottle, a rice sock, etc. If that doesn't do the trick, progress to ibuprofen, calcium/magnesium/B6 supplements, or nifedipine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm already pretty caffeine free. Only chocolate remains. I'll try the hot water bottle.