Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Losing milk supply

Default Re: Losing milk supply

I'm glad the forceful letdown does not fit-that is one headache you do not need! often times it's a process of elimination to figure out what an issue is.

I forgot to ask-when baby has nursed, was nursing comfortable for you?

All except one time. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Was he suctioned pretty hard after birth? I've read that babies who get aggressive suctioning can end up with an aversion to latching...

Definitely try the tricks from the kellymom.com link LLLMeg posted- the instant reward and skin-to-skin techniques are said to be especially helpful. If your LO goes into that frantic, head-bobbing, mouth opening and shutting, crying state when you try to latch him on, one thing that might help is to offer him your pinky finger to suck on (nail held down towards the tongue, rather than up towards the delicate palate). Sometimes a few seconds of sucking on a finger will remind a frantic baby that sucking is the answer to his problem, and will calm his behavior enough to enable a repeat latch attempt.
    No, no suctioning at all.

And I've tried 'magic finger' - in fact, in the early days i didn't want to introduce a bottle and I was syringing down the side of my finger, but I had to stop as the volumes increased - I have used it since for calming purposes and to try to get him to remember what he should do, but it doesn't seem to work

So, baby is capable of latching and nursing well, and the latch is comfortable when baby does so. Your milk production appears normal. You have tried everything suggested in the kellymom article to try to get baby to latch, and baby will latch, but only very rarely. Am I getting this right?

I am wondering how we can best support you at this point. More ideas for getting baby back to the breast? Pumping shortcuts? Support? Whatever you need please let us know...

With my oldest he could latch and nurse, but it took him about 45 minutes just to get on there and another 30 for him to nurse. For a while he refused one side. I used nipple shields, it was the only way he could latch, so I was told to pump after every feeding. (This precaution is not always necessary I have since found out.) It was very frustrating and exhausting for the first 6 weeks or so, and I had no idea if my baby would ever "get it" I remember mostly feeling so terribly alone, I felt no one understood what I was going through, not really.

Looking for a Dry place .. Long Island, NY

I am having the same issue .. i pump 8 to 12 times a day sometimes only 8 because of time or situations ( im displaced from sandy and have to leave time for apartment hunting as well as the doc appointments from c sec to babies .. so catching up to life still ) im drinking mothers milk tea and fenugreek .. but i was also put on bc two weeks ago ( low milk was from the get go not just aftr the bc ) im sure the stres from being displaced and fear of failing isnt helping me.. b ut ill take any suggestions as well..

to the topic poster .. i kno how hard time management is .. have you tryed a hands free pump bra? im cheep so i actully cut holes in a sports bra and riged my own hands free ( afraid of speanding money till we get a new home lol ) giving your self hands free time may give you a chance to sooth your little one and pump or feed and pump .. even just give you time to sit back and read or watch tv for 10 mins of sanity... while also getting more time to pump in. just a though .. good luck

Sorry I've not replied. Since using the double pump ive lost my Internet time as I don't have a free hand. I'm on the single pump at the moment - I tend to do one single pump each day.

I might have to try making a pumping bra. See if that helps!

In the meantime, I'm not sure how I can be helped either.

He was cluster-feeding last night and he got very very close to the end of my stash if milk. I just can't keep up with him and I can't pump when he's cluster feeding!!

To the lady doing 8 a day - I take my hat off to you. I honestly don't know how you find the time!

pixi I hope you don't think I was giving up on you! This is one of the reasons I dislike online comunication-it's harder to communicate some things this way.
    I actually see lots of reasons to think you will be able to nurse your baby. Your milk production is good, despite not being able to pump as often as is typically reccomended. Your baby is physically capable of latching and has in fact latched and nursed! This is a biggy. A baby who physically can latch and nurse can be brought back to the breast at any age. It may be hard, it may in fact be too hard in some situations. But it's not impossible. I have talked to mothers who not only had very little milk at this point, thier babies had NEVER latched. And yes, they went on to nurse thier babies.

The question is, what do you want? How far are you willing to go? have you reached your final wall or can you go on with trying? Do you want to go on with trying? And in what direction?

What if you kept trying, but ultimately found you could nurse your baby most of the time but had to supplement a little? Or what if you were never able to get baby to latch-would you still want to keep pumping as much milk as you can, supplementing with donated milk or formula if needed? Breastfeeding need not be all or nothing. There are 'alternative routes' that work well for many mothers and babies when needed.

Based on what you have written, I do have some ideas for bringing baby back to the breast. They may be things you have already tried, but of course it often takes trying the same things over and over again, varying as needed. But I don't want to keep throwing ideas at you for bringing baby back to the breast if you are done, if that is a direction you are no longer willing to go. On the other hand, I am very happy to support you in whatever direction you would like to go at this point.

I'm very grateful that you've not given up on me. I'm always amazed at how lovely people online can be. Thank you.

As for what I want - ideally is still like to try to get him on.

How far am I willing to go - pretty far. I'd hope 5 weeks of pumping indicates a level of commitment. That said, I am struggling for time and sleep so I have a bit less strength than normal.

Have I hit the wall - I don't think so. I keep thinking I want to chuck in the towel, but I can't bring myself to do it so I'm obviously not ready to chuck it in.

Do I want to keep trying - yes, I think so. If I can.

In what direction - to try to get him feeding directly from me.

What if I need to supplement - fine, fair enough. If I can't do it 100% then I can combination feed. I think I've made my peace with that.

What if I can't ever feed directly - I don't think I am happy to carry on exclusive pumping. I really am hating it, it's making me very unhappy. I'd like to continue to contribute to his diet if I can, but if someone told me today that I'd never get him feeding directly from me I'd move several of his feeds to formula and cut down the pumping. I know there are health benefits for him from breastfeeding, but as far as life with my baby goes I see pumping as the worst of both worlds. All the sterilising and bottle heating of formula feeding, with the diet restrictions and boob/nipple pain of breastfeeding (it feels like someone is stabbing me when he cries for food) and the extra inconvenience of the time of pumping and spending the time I'm holding/playing with my son feeling like I need to put him down to pump!!
    Last edited by @llli*pixi; February 21st, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Pixi of your baby CAN latch, and you ARE making enough milk why aren't we working at getting him back to breast NOW? If you make enough milk and aren't weaning off of supplements, getting the baby back to breast can really take a week or under. Any reason we can't start TODAY?

Way too lazy for formula

Hi there! Congrats on your baby and all your hard work. I just wanted to chime in with a quick suggestion - have you tried "dreamfeeding" him? Just a thought. Many babies (including my DD so I say this from experience!) nurse better when they are very sleepy or asleep. Perhaps try picking him up from a nap (if it's been a while since he fed) and quickly putting him to the breast and see what happens. OR, right before a nap, feed him just a bit to settle him, then soothe him to sleep, then put him to the breast and see what happens. If he has the ability to latch and nurse, perhaps it's just a matter of changing the environment/conditions under which he nurses. Maybe try nursing in a very dark room with some white noise?

Just some thoughts. I wish you the best.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135