Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My areole bumps one has gotten very swollen Help please

Unhappy My areole bumps one has gotten very swollen Help please

Has anyone gone through this painful situation? My left side breast on the areole we have small tiny bumps which at times releases white milk I believe. Well one of them seem a tiny bit larger, with a white tip and pop it, and I think i got it infected it has gotten very swollen its about the size of my nipple and it hurts tremendous. Can anyone help me in what I could do? If it continues to hurt I will go to an urgent care. Don't want it to get worse.

Default Re: My areole bumps one has gotten very swollen Help please

Sounds like a blocked Montgomery's gland. I'm not a healthcare professional, but mine occasionally get inflamed.

Very warm (hot as you can stand, but don't burn yourself!) compresses and massage should help. And nursing should help. I hope you feel better soon!
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

Default Re: My areole bumps one has gotten very swollen Help please

with the PP. What you describe could also be an infected Montgomery gland. In addition to the warm compress idea, I suggest doing soaks in warm water, applying a little antibiotic ointment (Bacitracin, for example), fresh air, and rigorous hygeine. Wash your bras in hot water, and change bras and towels every day.

If you start to notice several or all of the following mastitis symptoms, see a healthcare provider right away:
    - fever
    - chills
    - whole body aches and pains
    - red streaks or spots on the skin of the breast
    - deep breast pain
    - a swollen, tender lump inside the breast

Many doctors have little to no training in breastfeeding management, and will incorrectly suggest that you wean or pump and dump your milk if you take antibiotics. If you end up being prescribed antibiotics, you can almost always continue to nurse. The Infant Risk center is a good resource, if you need to take a medication in order to clear this up: http://www.infantrisk.com/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"