Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Joint pain

Default Joint pain

I have had joint stiffness in my hips and ankles/feet mostly but all through my legs really since I was may 3 months postpartum. Does anyone else have this? I am wondering if it could be hormonal and will go away after my baby weans. It is not terrible but it makes me hobble around for a few minutes after I get out of bed in the morning or when I get up from my desk after sitting for a while. It makes me feel so old!

Default Re: Joint pain

YES! I had terrible joint pain for about 7 months postpartum.
    It started right away for me but was the worst around 2-3 months. Pain when I got out of bed in the morning or up after sitting, it was mostly in my knees and feet. Now at 9 months it is pretty much gone, I am still nursing. I had wondered if it was hormonal, or related to the spinal/meds/fluids given to me during and after my c-section. My doctor was very unhelpful, when I discussed with her she just shrugged and said maybe I had arthritis?
    An aunt who is a nurse suggested it might be related to a vitamin/mineral deficiency, so I started taking high quality prenatal vitamins as well as calcium-magnesium supplements and eating really well. It seemed to help.

I had this until my son was about 3 years, on and off, and yes it did make me feel old! Ancient to be exact. And pain in my feet, in the arch. But this past year it did not recur and I hope it stays away.

I wonder does your pain seem to shoot or radiate down your leg?? If so it could possibly be a sciatic nerve issue. Its usually around the buttocks and can be irritated by inflammation of the muscle around it causing pain which is usually noticed when going from asitting to standing position. sorry youre in pain! i can relate sort of lol my left foot has been numb since my epidural wore off... Three weeks ago... O_O its like walking with a floppy cement brickfor a leg.

Thanks all, I do suspect that this is a post-partum or breastfeeding-related thing so I think I'll wait a while before I go crazy trying to figure out what it is. Great idea to take a multivitamin, nathansmum. I bet it is mostly coincidence, but I think it started right around the time I ran out of prenatal vitamins and I didn't bother to get more. I should start taking those again. I sometimes feel like my baby is sucking the life right out of me, maybe she is, literally!! It's not a shooting pain, no, just stiffness in my joints. Like what you might feel if you've been sitting for a long time in one position, but I will get it even if I've only been sitting for an hour or two, and it's quite intense until I walk around for a while. And it's pretty bad when I first wake up in the morning.

I have the exact same issue. Mostly just stiffness in my ankles, takes a while for it to wear off once I get moving. It does seem to improve the more exercise I do and when I take my supplements: I take a multi-v, calcium, vitamin D and magnesium, and I try to make sure to eat a good amount of fruit so I'm getting enough potassium in my diet. I decided to start taking those supplements when I noticed my tongue would tingle sometimes after breastfeeding, which as an RN, I know is a pretty good indication of a mineral deficiency such as calcium. It does seem to help...very strange though!

I agree, I feel pretty stiff in the am, or if I've been sitting on the couch nursing, when I go to get up, it feels like my body is reluctant to unfold itself, lol.

Thanks so much for posting this. I am 23 and have had joint pain and stiffness since I gave birth, so these replies are very helpful to me. I too feel very old, geez!
    It is mostly in my hips, knees and ankles. I am thinking that my body still needs to adjust after walking a certain way while pregnant, and this is probably a long process (DD is 9 months old)

Anyway, I think it has to be related to hormones and breastfeeding. I am not very good about my diet and keeping up with my prenatal vitamins, so now I know I need to pay more attention and take care of myself.
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

Hi all, I began experiencing joint pain on the inside of my right hand at the base of my thumb shortly after my daughter began sleeping through the night at around 5 months. The pain became incredibly severe and I could not really use my hand. I was misdiagnosed as having De Quervians. My doctor then told me to take ibprofen for 10 days and if the pain subsisted, to go to Physical therapy. PT helped a lot, but I still wear a thumb brace at night because it is a bit weak and achey. Unfortunately, around 8 months post partum, my right foot became so swollen and inflamed, that I could not walk. I switched doctors and she began searching for answers. An ultrasound of my foot made it look like Rheumatoid Arthritis, but my bloodwork came back as negative. My bloodwork came back as negative for a whole host of other things as well (lupus, lyme disease, celiac's disease, gout, parvovirus, etc.). I also had fluid aspirated from my foot (OUCH), but it didn't reveal any results. I was given medicine for the unbearable pain that would keep me up at night which helped tremendously and was referred to a rheumatologist (hoping he will find something in my hormone levels). I asked my doctor at least 3 times if it could be related to hormones and breastfeeding and she was adamant that they were in no way related. This thread gave me hope that my instincts are correct. I also experience minor, less painful swelling regularly during PMS. My theory is that perhaps my period is trying to make it's return (as I nurse less and less) and somehow the PMS symptoms cause fluid retention which is putting pressure on my joints. I hope this information might be helpful to anyone else going through this kind of pain! I plan to switch vitamins and add supplements to my regimen thanks to this thread. I plan to wean my daughter at around 9 or 10 months and will be very curious to know if the pain goes away. Any other advice from experience with this is much appreciated!