Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many ounces per bottle when I am at work?

Default How many ounces per bottle when I am at work?

Hi! First of all, these forums are a fantastic resource and I am so grateful to have found this community.

I have returned to work full time and my 14-wk-old son spends his days with his nanny. He is gaining beautifully (measured 14 lbs 10.5 oz on 2/13). He eats 7-8 times a day, breastmilk only. While with his nanny (8 am to 6:30pm), he gets three bottles. I used the kellymom calculator to determine that there should be about 4 ounces per bottle. My nanny disagrees and wants bigger bottles, because he cries briefly after each feeding. I think he cries because the feeding is over too quickly. He is otherwise happy with her: naps and does tummy time, focuses on books, toys, etc.

Things got more complicated on Friday when the pediatrician said that the rule for bottles is the age of the child in months+ 1, i.e. he can have 5 ounces when he is 4 months old, 6 ounces when he is 5 mo, etc. I am sure he will love that, but where is the milk going to come from?!

My current pumping capacity is about 15 ounces per day. I really don't know how to get him bigger bottles...

Default Re: How many ounces per bottle when I am at work?

Hi. First, even More important than how much is in bottles is how they are given. They should be given in a very specific way called paced bottle feeding. Among other benefits, feeding this way allows a baby to take longer with a bottle (as would normllay happen at the breast) and thus, possibly, settle more easily without being over fed.

Things got more complicated on Friday when the pediatrician said that the rule for bottles is the age of the child in months+ 1, i.e. he can have 5 ounces when he is 4 months old, 6 ounces when he is 5 mo, etc.
    This sounds like a rule for overfeeding babies and making them at risk for childhood obesity. Just because a tummy can conceivably hold 5 or 6 ounces does not mean that is a healthy size for a meal, or what a baby would like. Babies are actually great at regulating their own intake as long as they are allowed to, which is why bottles should be, in most cases, be given on cue and via paced bottle feeding for all babies. I would suggest asking doctor who made up this 'rule' and based on what evidence. It is undoubtedly based on formula fed rather than breastfed babies, but frankly I do not think it is a healthy attitude to have toward feeding a formula fed baby either. All babies benefit from being fed in a biologically normal manner as possible, and that means, as much like breastfeeding as possible, and that means, more frequent, smaller meals.

You are the mom. The kellymom article explains generally how much an infant needs while mom is away. This is evidence based information. I am attaching more info about how to bottle feed a baby. If this makes sense to you, pass it on to nanny. Nanny is your employee and follows your orders.

*Bottles for breastfed baby aka paced bottle feeding : http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; February 17th, 2015 at 11:46 AM.

The nanny needs to read up on paced feeding, and the pediatrician needs to stop giving formula-based bottle advice to breastfeeding moms!

If you go by your pediatrician than does a 12 month baby need a 13-oz bottle?

I used to send between 8-10 ounces for a 8-9 hour separation for my baby. He never wanted more. Usually left over an ounce even. He had two bottles, first one was usually more ounces than the second.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.
    My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

You might also talk to nanny about alternative comforting measures. Babies fuss for reasons other than hunger! Games and books and toys and all are great, but this sounds a bit more like a routine for a four year old than a 3 month old. Primarily a baby this age needs to be held, rocked, and cuddled. Do you have a sling or wrap yourself? Your nanny might try babywearing as well?

These are general tips for fussy baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf

These are tips written for Dad/other co-parent but some could certainly be done by a nanny. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf

Thank you, all.

It's good to know my intuition was right.

My nanny is great, but only has experience with formula fed babies. She does try to slow him down by taking breaks at every ounce, but he hates that. He wants to guzzle it. I think she is worried because she is very devoted to him (holds him, rocks him, sings, talks to him all the time and he loves that) and yet he cries when she feeds him. We will work on incorporating the paced feeding techniques, especially the one where you break the suction but don't take the bottle out.

I did leave her 5 oz bottles yesterday and she said it made no difference, so we now agree that more food is not the answer. I want to clarify that he only cries briefly after he finishes the bottle (the nanny holds him and walks around the room for 2-3 minutes and he stops), and I would not describe him as a fussy baby. He has become quite social lately, smiling, reaching for his toys, vocalizing when you talk to him.

It sounds like you and your nanny are figuring this out very well together. Sorry if I sounded harsh on your nanny, she sounds great. If baby is only fussy for such a short time after a bottle, you are all surely doing fine.

Thanks. She is a good nanny, but misinformation about feeding babies so hard to fight. Her other major concern is that the baby has gas. The baby has audible gas that does not bother him. He farts and laughs, but she finds it a problem.

My DD farts and laughs too, on asking other Mums am pretty sure it's normal!