Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost 12 mos - should I reduce solids to keep baby nursing

Default Almost 12 mos - should I reduce solids to keep baby nursing

My son will be 12 mos on October 10. He was nursing 6x a day (first thing in the morning, before both naps, between nap #2 & dinner, bedtime, and once during the night) and eating 3 solid meals a day. Weight gain & diaper output were good. At the end of last week (about 2 weeks before his bday), he started nursing 1-2 feedings less than he had been. It started with sleeping through the night & dropping the middle of the night feeding, then he had a few days where he nursed in the early morning but refused when he woke up for the day. He's also refused his late afternoon feeding (before dinner) a few times since then. He's doing about 4-5 feedings a day now - early morning, midmorning, midafternoon, bedtime & a dream feed before I go to bed (to try & push the early morning feeding closer to his wake up time. Otherwise he'll go 5-6 hours in the morning without nursing). Most of the time he'll do the dream feed, but usually it's just one side. I know my supply is adjusting so I think he's getting a little more at each feeding than he was when he nursed 6x a day. His solid & water intake has not really increased, so I'm not sure why he's needing to nurse less. The four feedings he's still doing he's very attached to and nurses well. The dream feed & late afternoon feedings are hit or miss. His diapers are still wet but not as wet as they were previously. We always nurse in a quiet room, if we're home it's in his room with lights down low & his lullaby music on. Many times he'll latch and suck a few times, or for a minute or so (not long enough for the milk to let down), but then refuses to keep going. Does that count as a feeding? I don't really count it unless my milk lets down & he gets a good amount.

So, my question is, should I just follow his lead, continue to offer nursing at all his usual times and keep offering the same amount of solids? Or should I pull back on solids some (just offer less at meal times) to encourage him to continue nursing at all his regular times? Or should I offer him pumped milk or goat's milk to replace the dropped feedings? The fact that he's wetting a bit less and not seeming to take in anything additional to replace the dropped feedings is concerning to me. But, he's so close to the 12 month mark, I'm not sure. At 12 mos I was planning to leave it up to him a little more...really trying to keep breastmilk (nursing preferred) primary until then He does drink some from a sippy but not very much. He's never really wanted breastmilk from anything but me (no bottles, etc.)

Other relevant info: he did go on a nursing strike in early Sept (just before he turned 11 mos). He went 3 days without nursing due to an ear infection, but came back around and quickly got back into his usual routine. No trouble since then, until last weekend. He has no other symptoms of an ear infection, so I don't really think his ears are bothering him. But my daughter had a couple ear infections where her only symptom was watery eyes, so...?? I don't think this is a strike since he's still eager to nurse 4x a day & does well. Before he would cry and push away & completely refused all feedings.

His birthweight was 6lb 13oz, 20.5 inches. He is currently about 21lbs and 29-30 inches.

Thanks in advance!!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Default Re: Almost 12 mos - should I reduce solids to keep baby nur

" Many times he'll latch and suck a few times, or for a minute or so (not long enough for the milk to let down), but then refuses to keep going. Does that count as a feeding? I don't really count it unless my milk lets down & he gets a good amount."
    ... I wouldn't count that as a feeding either.

Since he is pretty much one year old I would follow this guideline...Starting at a year old a child will require more nutrients and calories than what breastmilk alone provides. In my opinion if he is eating well for solids meals and you are breastfeeding four or five times a day, that is still great!
    This is what I would do - Perhaps see how it goes another week, and offer to nurse per usual times. If diapers are drier and you feel uncomfortable with that then offer some water too so for peace of mind. If he continues to nurse four or five times, I would up the food quantity.

Was your DD similar? You had a very successful bf run there

Default Re: Almost 12 mos - should I reduce solids to keep baby nur

Thank you! That's kind of what I was planning to do at a year, emphasize the solids more. I really didn't expect him to start weaning yet though... He kinda caught me off guard
    My daughter didn't really drop feedings, I weaned her very slowly. At 12 mos (if I remember right) she was nursing about 6x a day, pretty similar to what he was doing before. He seemed more attached to nursing than she was so I'm kind of surprised that he's dropping feedings. So this is uncharted territory for me! I was hoping that we could keep all his regular (6) feedings & just add more solids when he turns one...I guess thus is baby led weaning! thank you for your help!