Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorged on one side only.

Default Engorged on one side only.

I have been breastfeeding my 9 day old and from the beginning have been feeding both sides each feeding, alternating which breast to start first. In the last couple days, one breast has become way more engorged to the point that it is painful. I have even pumped before feeds to relieve some pressure and get over an ounce in 5 minutes. How do I even my supply better? It is also affecting my son's ability to latch since it is so engorged. Should I not pump?

Default Re: Engorged on one side only.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

When engorgement and oversupply is a problem, then yes, you absolutely want to avoid the pump unless it is absolutely necessary. (It might be necessary if you had a bad plugged duct, mastitis, a baby who wasn't nursing, or a baby who was unable to latch unless the breast was a little softer.) The reason you want to avoid the pump is that every time you remove milk from the breast, your body gets the message to make the same amount all over again. So removing milk in addition to nursing tells your body to keep making the excess amount.

If one breast is much more problematic than the other, it may be necessary to reduce stimulation to that side by offering it less often. Sometimes this means offering the less problematic breast first at every feeding, while continuing to offer the problematic side after the baby has fed on the first breast. Sometimes it means doing one-sided feedings, offering just one breast for one or more feedings in a row. But I don't know if I'd do either of those things yet, at just 9 days...?

How is baby's diaper output at this point?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much for your advice! I have started nursing first on the ok side and then offering the enforced side after or if he doesn't want to eat more, I have been hand expressing a little to relieve myself. Last night though, I started having more pain up by my armpit so I am worried about mastitis or a blocked duct. I am using massage and a heating pad. How long does it take for the breast to stop producing as much and feel more comfortable?

His poops have been fine. Yellow colored and poops every diaper which is at least 8-10 a day, if not more.

I totally agree with everything mommal said. To answer your latest question, your body should start to get the message to make less on the one breast within a few days. Supply can be very touchy for the first few months even so you don't want to mess with it much but just stay away from the pump (unless you're trying to build a supply), and feed on demand.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

Thank you ladies! As you said, it is already much better! After less stimulation and feeding from the engorged side, it has subsided. I now feel much better and my baby is able to nurse both sides successfully again.

Great to hear!
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'