Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping for 9 month old-- should I be expecting changes?

Default Pumping for 9 month old-- should I be expecting changes?

I've been back to work since LO was 5 months old and have been leaving three 4 oz bottles for the last few months. In the last week, though, I've been consistently pumping 1 ounce shy of my typical 12 oz., then I try to make up the ounce before I go to bed.
    Just wondering if it may be typical to produce less at this point now that the baby is eating 2 - 3 meals a day. I believe some have told me their pediatrician has said that
    babies after 9 months should only be getting 16 - 20 oz a day, and people often reduce their pumping sessions to 2 x from 3x a day. Just trying to figure out what to aim for and what to be concerned or not concerned about related to supply. What do you all think?

Default Re: Pumping for 9 month old-- should I be expecting changes?

It seems to be very common for working moms to experience a "pump slump" in the 8-10 month window. It can happen because the baby is reducing his/her milk intake as intake of solids increases, or because mom's period is coming back, or because mom's pump is wearing down after months of use, or because mom is simply not responding to the pump the way she used to. So, lots of potential causes! Adding in a pumping session and rehabbing your pump are both great ways to start dealing with a slump.

I just have to at the "information" from your friend's pediatrician. From birth to 6 months, milk should make up the totality of baby's intake- around 19-30 oz per day, depending on the baby. From 6-12 months, milk should make up the majority of the baby's intake, with solids complementing but not REPLACING breastmilk. That means that many babies will continue to eat about 19-30 oz of milk per day until 12 months. The advice from the pediatrician sounds more like the advice given to formula-feeding parents, who of course can precisely measure their babies' intake.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

In my case it's not my period-- I got it back many months ago and have been able to keep up with la leche, pretty much. Maybe it's me needing to eat/hydrate more, maybe it's her solids affecting her intake, or maybe you're right about the pump.

How do you test or rehab a pump?

Call the pump manufacturer about testing/rehabbing. Meanwhile, try replacing any replaceable parts on the pumps, particularly valves or diaphragms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"