Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Doing All I Can, Still Not Enough.

Default Doing All I Can, Still Not Enough.

Hello,

My LO is 9 weeks old and since her birth (via CS) breastfeeding has been a major struggle.

LO herself is a great baby to nurse .. she loves it and has a great latch. I enjoy nursing and wish I could nurse her exclusively. The issue is my supply. I have seen two different lactation consultants and am currently taking Domperidone (for the
    past 6 weeks) and eating lactation cookies. The domperidone has helped, maybe, a
    little bit. But I still have to supplement, which I do not want to do. I even use a
    "Milkies Saver" to collect the BM from the breast I am not nursing from to collect
    any leakage.

Currently, I BF 70% and supplement with formula 30%. I have to supplement because after I nurse, LO is still hungry and will cry and cry until she is satisfied. I
    have tried just BFing her all day whenever she wants it, but after 5 minutes or so, I know I am completely dry and she is still hungry.

Each day I breastfeed every 2-2.5 hours, then, if LO is still hungry supplement 1-2 oz of formula. LO sleeps 6-7 hours through the night, and to keep up my supply, I wake up and pump, which I save to build a supply for if and when I have to be away from my LO.

When I pump, I pump about 2 oz, 3 oz (total from both breasts) if I am really lucky.
    Is there anything else I can do to build up my supply? Any advice??? I am willing to do just about anything.

Default Re: Doing All I Can, Still Not Enough.

Hi mama, welcome to the forum! I think we can better help you if you could answer a few questions. What led to the conclusion that you had low supply to begin with? Did your LO have slow weight gain or was she losing weight? Was she not having good diaper output? I think it would be helpful if you could post a weight history. How many ounces a day total are you using of formula at this point? How many times in 24 hours are you nursing? A baby this age will typically be nursing 10-12 times in 24 hours, minimum 8 times. And usually will NOT be sleeping 6-7 hours in the night.

Your breast is never "completely dry." There is ALWAYS milk in there. Granted, your supply probably is lower than it needs to be right now, since baby is getting some of her nutrition from formula. Every time she drinks formula, she's not at your breast stimulating your supply. And since formula sticks around in baby's system longer than breastmilk (less easily digestible), it also delays the time baby will cue for the next feed. But that doesn't mean that you can't get your supply up to where it needs to be. For example, by pumping every time you give her formula. Here's information from kelly mom on transitioning off formula:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/

Also, a normal meal at the breast is 2-3 ounces. So the fact that you pump 2-3 ounces when you pump at night does not indicate low supply in and of itself; in fact that would be a normal feed, and the pump is often less efficient than baby at extracting milk.

Mama, you can definitely increase your supply!