Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP - I don't know what the problem is...

Default HELP - I don't know what the problem is...

Hiya All, I am new to LLL forums. I am a new mom to my 4th child! I have one girl and now 3 boys!. I've BF all my previous children with ZERO problems - BFing was what I was born to do!

Little background;

On January 10, my water broke at 34 + 4 weeks. The hospital kept me on bedrest and antibiotics til the 13th, in which we induced and my little 35 weeker was born - my first preemie. He spent 17 days in NICU, I was released two days after birth. He's had no apneas, no respiratory distress; only bradys. He had one that dipped to the 40s and needed stims. Other than that all his bradys were self-correcting. His weight at birth was 5 lbs 14 oz, he went down to 5lbs 7 oz and he was released at 6 lbs 5 oz. While he was in NICU he was feed on the 9, 12, 3, 6 schedule. I would go in at 9am/pm to nurse. Immediately after he was born, we attempted BFing, but it was very lazy like. So they supplement with neosure. On the second day, they put an NG tube in because he was still being lazy with the bottle. He had the tube for about 24 hours, in whichhe yanked it out of his nose. But by then he had turned a corner with sucking and was doing much better with the bottle and breast. At first, during my nursing sessions, we would nurse for a short time and then supplement. By the time he went home, he was only nursing during my feeding times with no need for a bottle and sleeping all the way through to the next feeding.

Today, we've been home for a week and strictly BFing on demand. There has been one or two occasions in which he received a bottle of my milk, but other than that, strictly breast. Since, I've successfully BF 3 other children, I am not sure what it going on. Even though my last child is almost 3, I don't remmeber the level of pain/tenderness associated in the first few weeks. My nipples are VERY sore and tender to the touch, even my bra and breast pad hurt my nipples. I'm using Lanolin and bought some lansinoh cooling pads. My nipples are not cracked, bleeding or open in any way. My baby is gaining weight, appears satisfied, sleeps for 1-3 hours, wet/poopy diapers...but something feels off. I am very larged chested, I would guess I am about a 34/36 EE. My milk does not tend to fly out of my breast and choke him, but sometimes I do see it bubble up to his lips while he is nursing. I can see that his tongue is wrapping my breast/nipple as it should...but my nipples HURT! I started to really pay attention to his nursing yesterday and this morning. He seems to latch on, but then spit out and suck back in my nipple...does that make sense? This is where I think the tenderness is coming from. I, also, realized last night, this is my first child that I haven't used a nursing pillow, so I am heading out to buy one now. I am going to use the Brest Friend, since I used it in the hospital and really liked it. I wonder if my nipple, the end part, is just too big for his mouth. It doesn't make sense to me, but it is painful when I nurse, especially when he is sucking the end of my nipple back into his mouth.

Thoughts? Sorry for the looonnnngggg post. Thanks K

Default Re: HELP - I don't know what the problem is...

* now weighs 6 lbs 14 oz.
    * when we supplemented in the hospital in was with pumped milk. He only had the neosure for about 24-48 hours til my milk came in.

My first thought here would be that you've got thrush. Being on antibiotics makes it highly likely. There is some great info here about how to know if you've got thrush and how to treat it. When I had it, the pain was an irritating, burning, kind of itchy sort of pain. And I would get it any time I nursed, leaked, or my nipples got wet- like in the shower.

It could also just be his mouth is smaller and it makes latching more difficult. If that's the case, keep working on your latch and hopefully as he grows it will get easier for both of you. Latch issues aren't something I know a lot about, so hopefully some mamas with more experience with that will chime in on this with specific things to can try.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with still.here...I was thinking "thrush" while reading your post. If it is, lanolin isn't a great idea - it just traps the moisture in and causes a great breeding ground for the yeast. You can try following Dr. Newman's candida protocol http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP and/or Dr. Jay Gordon's http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html to see if that helps. The more airing out of your nipples that you can do, the better. Go braless around the house.

Thanks Friends! With my second child, I did get a yeast infection on my breasts and baby got it on his mouth. It was BAAADDDDD...and then on top of that...I had an allergic reaction to the medication which just made it even worse.

I don't think its thrush, but I'll look over the link above for signs. His tongue and sides of his tongue are clear of white patchyness. I do not have any itching or burning on my breasts. I am a chronic sufferer of vaginally yeast infections and surprisely, I did not get an infection with all the antibiotics I received while in the hospital.

I talked with an LC from the hospital today and she suggested a few things. One being to make sure that I am supporting my breast in the C shape with my hand [thumb on top, fingers cupping bottom] which I had not been doing. So maybe that allows more of my breast to kind of slide out of his mouth. She also suggested that I try to nurse in more of a upright belly to belly position, so it seems like he is facing me. I can recline back and support his head with one hand/arm and my breast with the other. I did that today and it did feel better. I also bought a contact nipple shield to have on hand. But I haven't decided if I am going to use it or not.

Here's hoping that the positional stuff fixes your issues! But just so you know, the baby doesn't have to have white patches for thrush to be present.

Interesting information about thrush and gentian violet. Since I've been a chronic sufferer of yeast infections. I'm gonna try the new positions over the next few days and see if that helps. I am not experiencing any searing pain or pain throughout the feeding session. The pain is generally associated to when he is sucking my nipple back into his mouth. I notice yesterday and today [which I think I mentioned above] he seems to be spitting out and sucking my nipple back in. I do feel tenderness with my bra and breast pad, but today...I feel a little better.

Since I've had such a history of yeast...I'd prolly jump right to the G Violet...which should be comically...LOL. I'm going to add in some grapefruit seed extract vitamins as well. Thanks.