Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing strike -I'll 2.5 year old

Default Nursing strike -I'll 2.5 year old

Hi,
    My dd is 2.5 years old and hasn't nursed for 2 days. She has an awful cold at the moment and we are moving house tomorrow so it is quite a busy and stressful time, what with all removal men around and all our belongings in transit. We co-sleep and normally nurse 3-4 times a day and about the same during the night, but dd just won't latch on. It's very strange behaviour for her, as usually she loves her milk- she's just been asking for water instead, no mater how many times I offer her mommy's milk! I've been trying to express, which to be honest is only in the morning and before bedtime, as it's been so busy and there's not been enough time, or privacy to express more. This is enough so as not to become engorged, and is keeping me comfortable, but I'm scared that it won't be enough to maintain my supply until dd is ready to come back to the breast again. Just wondered if there is anything else I should/can be doing and if anyone else has had a similar experience? Thanks, sbsmom

Default Re: Nursing strike -I'll 2.5 year old

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Lots of mothers go away for entire weekends after the year point and come back and pick up where they left off. Also is a very gradual thing when done naturally. By the time we quit we were doing only one or two mornings a week. And after quitting had two relapses. He could always get milk. Not always 10 minutes of milk but always a let down. After two years y our supply is established. If your supply dwindles at this point it will mean your child is self weaning. Because she will have to stop for THAT LONG for it to go away.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks djs.mom for the reassurance and advise. dd still won't have milk today, so just continuing to express. I've never not nursed/ or been away From dd for anymore than 8 hours, so it's very strange for this to be happening so late in our nursing relationship. Hopefully this will sort itself out.

Are you pregnant?

Way too lazy for formula

No, definitely not pregnant, just finished AF. DD still not showing interest in nursing today - I'm just assuming it's because she is so congested with the cold and a sore throat.

Red face Re: Nursing strike -I'll 2.5 year old

Just an update to let you know the nursing strike is over. My LO nursed to sleep for a nap yesterday, for bedtime and then during the night too. Her cold seems to be getting better too, so good news all round.