Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Too much hind milk?

Default Too much hind milk?

I have OS and OAL. For the past month I've been decreasing my supply. I let my baby finish one breast before switching to the next. My supply has improved and so this is usually every other feeding I switch. Thing is, my baby's nappies are disgusting. They are green and runny and very smelly.
    I have read about too much forth milk. But, is there such a thing as too much hind that can make her diapers so bad? It's been going on for three weeks, now. I've called the doctor, she labeled it as a stomach virus and didn't even have me come in. I tried pressing for it as well. (Not too impressed with this doctor, who has given wrong diagnosis before).

Now that my supply is under control should I switch each feeding now?
    I've read that too much forth milk can make the diapers that way and also that OAL can.
    It's really gross and wondering if I should be getting a second opinion or doing something different.
    I've since switched drs. Just haven't made an appointment.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Too much hind milk?

BTW, my DD is 3 months. The diapers are about 3 a day. She doesn't spit up. She slobbers a lot. She is gaining well. She's a happy baby. I've cut out nuts, soy, and milk for almost 2 weeks.

Welcome to the forum! The good news about green poops is that they are not in and of themselves a health problem. They can even be a variation of normal. So don't let the green, yucky-looking, yucky-smelling nappies get you down- in an otherwise healthy, happy, growing baby, they are like spit-up: a laundry issue, not a health issue.

There's no such thing as "too much hindmilk," and even if a baby did eat a diet of nothing but creamier-than-average milk, it would not result in the kind of diapers you're seeing. It's really important to know that there's actually no such thing as foremilk or hindmilk- just milk. Foremilk and hindmilk are just convenient terms for describing the end members of the spectrum of fat/lactose/water content of milk. The milk that comes out at the beginning of a feeding is watery, lactose-rich, and relatively lower in fat (foremilk). As time goes on at the breast empties out, the milk becomes gradually creamier (hindmilk). There's no abrupt switch from one kid of milk to the other, nor is one kind of milk better than the other. Both the so-called foremilk and the so-called hindmilk contain everything a baby needs to grow and develop, provided they get enough of it.

So, if your oversupply/forceful letdown are under control, what's causing the green nappies? Here are some possibilities:
    - Illness. It is not uncommon for babies to produce green and foul-smelling poops during and sometimes even after a bout of intestinal illness- and this is the season for nasty gastro bugs!
    - Allergy/intolerance to something in your diet. Most likely to be dairy. Wheat and soy are the runner-ups. Some babies are extremely sensitive to allergens in mom's diets and even "hidden" dairy or soy (the trace ingredients lusted way, way down the label) can cause weird-looking diapers. But please don't drive yourself nuts with dietary eliminations- again, in a healthy, happy, rowing baby, this just isn't a big health issue!
    - Teething. Sometimes green poops crop up when baby is teething hard and her drool faucet is on full-time.
    - Lactose overload from oversupply. Since you know you've had oversupply issues, I'd consider this to be the most likely cause of the green nappies. It doesn't mean you need to further reduce supply- just wait a while and see if the intestinal irritation eases as you and your baby adjust to the new supply level.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, Queen of Lactation Nation!
    My OS really depends, now that its a lot less on what I've eaten the day before. So for those green diapers my milk that day was definitely more than it has been. This OS issue is so touchy. But at least my breast aren't swollen all day and on the middle of the night. There was a time when first getting it under wraps I was wondering if my breasts would ever be soft while bf. things have certainly improved.

She hasn't had a green diaper in two days. It's yellow again and just runny. Being runny does concern me a but, as before it was like paste everyday. Then every two-three days she wouldn't go and BAM! Nastiness exploded from her behind. Ever since then- three weeks ago she's had diarrhea.

I suppose her poop can't be the same forever. I am so happy that the past two days it's been less stinky and back to yellow
    So I am thinking it is most likely due to the OS.

Hopefully it isn't a virus- I mean three weeks!

I've been scanning the packages of food. before making a purchase as to void off any potential milk intake.
    But it's almost been two weeks now and I see that it an be up to six weeks time for it to completely clear out of our systems.

Thanks for the advice and for the welcoming!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*netsirk View Post
    She hasn't had a green diaper in two days. It's yellow again and just runny. Being runny does concern me a but, as before it was like paste everyday. Then every two-three days she wouldn't go and BAM! Nastiness exploded from her behind. Ever since then- three weeks ago she's had diarrhea.

I suppose her poop can't be the same forever. I am so happy that the past two days it's been less stinky and back to yellow
    So I am thinking it is most likely due to the OS.

Hopefully it isn't a virus- I mean three weeks!
    3 weeks wouldn't be out of the ballpark for a virus, sad to say.

Runny poop is entirely normal for an exclusively breastfed baby. You can expect anything from thick, yogurt-y poops to thin, runny, nearly entirely liquid ones.

I've been scanning the packages of food. before making a purchase as to void off any potential milk intake.
    But it's almost been two weeks now and I see that it an be up to six weeks time for it to completely clear out of our systems.
    I'd still put my money on oversupply. What you described- feeling full and uncomfortably swollen on a very frequent basis- sounds like some pretty significant oversupply! Of course, there's no harm in doing dietary eliminations, but I hate to see moms drive themselves crazy and subsist on nothing but rice and pears... If they don't need to.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"