Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: Yogurt

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Yogurt

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leemami View Post
    Thanks!!! I did find some organic baby yogurt. I read the label and it said it didn't have sugar. I tried already and she really didn't care for it, but I'll keep trying!

    Thanks for your replies!

    BTW- @wuvamber: it's interesting that our kids are the exact same age! My little girl was born on 5/20/12 at 10:21 pm
    I just started my DS (7months) with some yogurt for "breakfast" --did a lot of research and read that it's one of the only dairy products that's actually encouraged to give to babies. I was hesitant at first too

    I buy the Organic YoBaby Plain Yogurt--He didn't like it at first either but I mix it with mashed banana and some cooked brown rice and now he LOVES it! Same advice as Sprocket; Try mixing in some applesauce or other steamed/puréed fruits

    Also, I have used the Udi's infant probiotics any time he is on antibiotics or if we are traveling away from home--you can try that as well if all else fails with the yogurt!

    Good luck!
    Last edited by @llli*stonesmom; February 14th, 2013 at 08:01 PM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,425

    Default Re: Yogurt

    I vote probiotics on their own vs yogurt for a baby. To even out damage done by probiotics.

    Way too lazy for formula

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    292

    Default Re: Yogurt

    I don't see why it needs to be baby yogurt. Yogurt is yogurt.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    COUGARTOWN Baby! From here on in!
    Posts
    17,425

    Default Re: Yogurt

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sprocket View Post
    I don't see why it needs to be baby yogurt. Yogurt is yogurt.
    They put less sugar in the baby yogurt. It's still an asston too much though. IMO. That's why I'd skip in favor of probiotics.

    Way too lazy for formula

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    292

    Default Re: Yogurt

    I'm talking about plain yogurt. The yogurt I buy is not baby yogurt and it contains organic whole milk and live cultures. That's it. I can't imagine why you would ever give a food with added sugar to a baby.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    5,334

    Default Re: Yogurt

    I thought baby yogurt meant there was no honey because of all the warnings about honey prior to a year???? Ai yi yi it's confusing. Maybe I won't start solids this time until my baby can get up and walk across the room and fix herself a sandwich.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,209

    Default Re: Yogurt

    Just looked up the Yobaby website. Here are the ingredients:

    CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC WHOLE MILK, NATURALLY MILLED ORGANIC SUGAR, ORGANIC BLUEBERRY JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, ORGANIC CARROT JUICE CONCENTRATE (FOR COLOR), PECTIN, VITAMIN D3.

    CULTURES: S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, L. CASEI, AND L. RHAMNOSUS.

    So yes, they add sugar. Which as PPs have pointed out is completely unnecessary.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    240

    Default Re: Yogurt

    i totally agree with sprocket, just get PLAIN yoghurt. I have gven it to my son from about 7 or 8 months and he still likes it.
    Surely that must be available in the US? i seem to remember buying it when I lived there but it is a long time ago. Here in Europe Yoghurt is sold either plain which means nothing at all is added, no sugar no nothing; or with "flavours" which means additives to the gills, starting with sugar, colour, aroma what not. So plain is what you need. Also often over here Greek Yoghurt means thickeners have been added so I never buy it.

    Here in Europe it is safe to assume anything labeled as "baby" is in actual fact full of additives and especially tons of sugar.

    it is actually not hard to make your own.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: Yogurt

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Just looked up the Yobaby website. Here are the ingredients:

    CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC WHOLE MILK, NATURALLY MILLED ORGANIC SUGAR, ORGANIC BLUEBERRY JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, ORGANIC CARROT JUICE CONCENTRATE (FOR COLOR), PECTIN, VITAMIN D3.

    CULTURES: S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, L. CASEI, AND L. RHAMNOSUS.

    So yes, they add sugar. Which as PPs have pointed out is completely unnecessary.
    We get the "YoBaby Simply Plain"...this one has no added sugar

    CULTURED PASTEURIZED ORGANIC WHOLE MILK, PECTIN, VITAMIN D3.

    CULTURES: S. THERMOPHILUS, L. BULGARICUS, L. ACIDOPHILUS, BIFIDUS, L. CASEI, AND L. RHAMNOSUS.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: Yogurt

    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*leemami View Post
    Thanks!!! I did find some organic baby yogurt. I read the label and it said it didn't have sugar. I tried already and she really didn't care for it, but I'll keep trying!

    Thanks for your replies!

    BTW- @wuvamber: it's interesting that our kids are the exact same age! My little girl was born on 5/20/12 at 10:21 pm
    Hehe, very cool!!! She was at 3:55 AM
    Amber

    Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

    love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

    visit us at: mommy & sage

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •