Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt

Default Yogurt

Hello ladies!

My DD has an ear infection (yes, for those who have read my posts, this happens during a stressful week for me... But I got I stay at home, yay!)

I took her to the Dr. This morning and she prescribed antibiotics. She told me that they may cause diarrhea and she would recommend me to give her some yogurt to help rebuild the bacteria. My baby is eating solids very good 2 to 3 times a day but I have not tried any milk products since I thought I had to wait until she was one. Dr said it would be ok, that they don't substitute breast milk with regular milk until 1yo and they are not concerned about giving milk products/milk before 1.

Have any of you tried milk/yogurt/milk products before your babies turned one? Is that a common recommendation?

Our dr. is really good but lately I have thought twice before listening to her advice. During my DD's last check up she recommended me to try to night wean, and let her CYO, because that's what she did with her kids. She told me the first night would be awful but then it will get better... And I did not listen to that advice!

Thanks!

Default Re: Yogurt

I don't have an authoritative answer for you but I just have to reply because I was in an identical situation. At 8 months my baby was just getting into solids and she had eaten some different veggies and even meat but we hadn't given her any dairy because of the milk before 1 question that I had too. Then she had an ear infection, was on antibiotics, had diarrhea and I am a microbiologist and was also concerned because I had read that antibiotics in babies knock out their natural flora which is apparently being shown recently to be really important for various things. So I wasn't thrilled about the antibiotics and I wanted to give her yogurt to help her get recolonized with "good" bacteria (I'm not sure how scientifically solid this reasoning is, but based on what I know, it seemed like a good idea). So I started reading about yogurt and became convinced that it was fine for babies her age and so we introduced yogurt right around the same time as the antibiotics.

One of the sources that I read was this:

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...ear_90,P02209/

Which lists yogurt as a good snack for babies starting at 8 months.

Now she eats yogurt a couple of times a week and I love it because it's easy to keep on hand and give her with no preparation and it's reasonably nutrient-dense. We do full-fat plain organic yogurt and I must say it's really delicious and creamy.

My doc told me 8 mos was good for yogurt, though be careful about sugar. A lot of brands, even those marketed for babies, have a ton of sugar, which can counteract the effects. You could also try probiotics, either liquid or powdered, but you have to wait 2 hours before and after giving the antibiotics.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

So... What kind of yogurt should I get? Sugar free, whole milk?

We buy plain whole milk yogurt. You don't want to do lowfat or nonfat. The fat is good. I sometimes mix it with applesauce, pureed pears or prunes, or mushed up banana but my baby likes it plain too. She made a face at first but after a few tries, she began gobbling it up. I don't see any need to buy yogurt that is full of sugar and concentrated fruit juice.

Plain, whole milk yogurt is best. Should be fine for your LO!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

My baby started eating yogurt at 8months. I wanted to start her on that because I personally loooove yogurt and it is so good for you. No adverse reactions or anything and remember that the lactose in yogurt and cheese has been changed or converted in some way (can't remember) and is different from your baby just straight up drinking some milk.

However, she has a mind of her own and I don't think she likes it OH well!
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage

The lactose in yogurt has been consumed by the bacteria that ferment the milk into yogurt. How much remains depends on how long the yogurt was fermented. I'm not sure about cheese.

Plain, whole milk yogurt (organic if you can find it) is the way to go. Yogurt is great for bouts of diarrhea.

Thanks!!! I did find some organic baby yogurt. I read the label and it said it didn't have sugar. I tried already and she really didn't care for it, but I'll keep trying!

Thanks for your replies!

BTW- @wuvamber: it's interesting that our kids are the exact same age! My little girl was born on 5/20/12 at 10:21 pm