Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Improving latch of an older baby

Default Improving latch of an older baby

Does anybody have any suggestions for improving the latch of my five month old?

DD is ebf and although her latch has never been 100% it has recently deteriorated with the onset of teething and some bad habits. Fortunately I have good supply and we've never had any issues with weight gain or outputs but I have been having pain while nursing for the last month or so.

DD latches reasonably well on the left breast but when latching on the right side she just doesn't seem to want to open her mouth far enough to take in more than just the nipple. She also slips off, loses suction quite frequently and leaks milk but the latch is slightly better if we side lie or dangle nurse (not always practical solutions!)

At this point in time the pain is manageable and some nursing sessions are better than others but I would really like to see if we can achieve a better latch.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Improving latch of an older baby

My DD's latch has always been a little tight -I found that lightly massaging her jaws with a little coconut oil on my fingers helped, as well as running a finger along the fronts and backs of her gums (the tongue tends to follow suit, so it loosens up a bit). It sounds weird, but I also found that massaging and stretching her hamstrings helped. I don't know how you feel about chiropractic or craniosacral therapy, but I know lots of people swear by it for latch issues.

Just out of curiosity, has your LO been checked for tongue/lip ties?

Default Re: Improving latch of an older baby

Baby had a tongue and lip tie cut at seven and eight weeks respectively which definitely helped with feeding and we had four sessions with an osteopath when she was under a month old.

I think part of our problem is that when Baby was teething she went through a short nursing strike so if I could get her latched on I'd leave her regardless of how bad the latch was (if I broke the latch I couldn't get her back on) so she got used to a shallow latch!