Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: relactation - is it possible after 6 weeks

Default relactation - is it possible after 6 weeks

i gave up breastfeeding after 2 days, before my milk came in, due to sore cracked bleeding nipples. i now regret my decision and it is making me depressed. my baby is 6 weeks and seems to have excema allergis which makes me feel worse. is there any way i can go back to breast feeding? if i squeeze i got a few drops of milk

Default Re: relactation - is it possible after 6 weeks

Hi and welcome to the forums! I'm not an expert, but I would think that there's a good chance of being able to produce milk for your baby - if moms who adopt can manage to lactate, I don't see why you couldn't do it. It will take a lot of hard work and patience though, and there's always the chance that it might not happen. Firstly, have you tried putting the baby to the breast and is he/she able to latch? You should give it a try at least every day, at a time when baby is happy and not too hungry - you don't want them to associate the breast with feeling uncomfortably hungry/tired, etc.
    Secondly, you need to get yourself a good quality electric pump, preferably a hospital grade rental if you can swing it. Pump at least 10x/day -I'd say about 20 minutes (hopefully someone else can jump in with a good length of time here). The more often you remove milk from the breast and stimulate it, the more your body will get the signal to make more milk.
    Thirdly, you can try using a supplementary nursing system (SNS), where you put the milk in little tubes that you can slip into the baby's mouth at your nipple so that the milk that you've pumped comes down as the baby sucks. Sorry that's probably not a great explanation, but I can't think of any other way to put it right now...Anyways, you can do this until the baby is able to latch and remove milk directly from your breast.
    Fourthly, you can try taking fenugreek and eating oatmeal -those are supposed to help increase supply.
    My last suggestion is to find a good lactation consultant to help you on your way. But good for you for wanting to try again! Good luck, and keep us posted!