Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No, actually my face is not made of rubber

Default No, actually my face is not made of rubber

So she's discovered my face. She'll reach into my mouth and yank on my lips, reach into my nose and pull on my nostrils, etc. She actually started doing this occasionally a while ago, but now it seems like it's more frequent. Is there a way to discourage this, as obviously, it's painful to me. I try to head her off at the pass, but it doesn't always work.

Default Re: No, actually my face is not made of rubber

Would you be willing to wear a beaded necklace? Perhaps she'd grab that and it will entertain her little fingers instead of your nostrils. My son likes to thrash around under the cover when I NIP, but he stops immediately if I hold his hand. Makes eating in a restaurant a little challenging, so I've considered wearing a necklace to see if that satisfies his little fingers.

Lol! I know exactly how you feel. And it's not gentle caressing either! I wore a beaded necklace today and E decides to try and put the beads in her mouth while nursing... not quite what I had in mind!

I was given one of these as a gift. http://store.chewbeads.com/category_s/22.htm and she will tug on it - and yes it's for teething too. But what I mostly do like alilwest above is let DD hold my hand and explore my fingers.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Isn’t it amazing how strong those little hands are! I agree, just offer baby your hand, teether, toy, washcloth, your sleeve-whatever is handy and safe. I keep a hand made teether ring on a string around MY neck (not baby's) for on the go grabbing when baby is in the sling and I need my hands. Reaching and grabbing is an important developmental step, you don’t want to discourage it! But little fingernails up the nose-yeouch. This is an early lesson in redirection, a discipline technique you will become expert at in the coming months.

Nip it in the bud now, it only gets worse when they become toddlers. If things get too violent with my 7.5 month old, I stop the nursing session. She may cry for a second, but it gets the message across - if you yank on my face, no boob.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.