Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Regarding lipase

Default Regarding lipase

How long does it take lipase to change stored milk?
    Does it develop as a result of freezing, or would it ruin the milk eventually anyway?
    What other things can go wrong with freezing then thawing?

Default Re: Regarding lipase

The time before lipase ruins milk depends on the mom, and the amount of lipase she is producing. A mom who makes a huge amount of lipase will see her milk get yucky faster than a mom who makes a smaller amount of lipase.

Lipase does not develop as a result of freezing- it's present in the milk when it's fresh. But freezing gives lipase to do its work, which is to break down the fats in the milk. Milk that sat in the fridge would go sour long before lipase ruined it. In the freezer, the milk cannot sour, but the lipase can still slowly break down the fats.

Other freezing/thawing issues... Hmm. Usually it's stuff like leaks, or milk partially thawing and then refreshing, or developing an unwanted taste/odor, or going past its use-by date due to getting forgotten in the depths of the freezer. Lipase is really the only thing that is likely to ruin properly stored milk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

why would it develop an unwanted taste or odor other than lipase?

Same reason anything else in the freezer would develop an unwanted taste/odor. Just absorbing smells/tastes from other stuff that's in there, freezer burn, etc.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous