Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long for symptoms to subside? Allergy vs OS?

Default How long for symptoms to subside? Allergy vs OS?

Hi All,

First post here. I have been exclusively bf my 3 month old and for the first 10 weeks we had no issues. Then he suddenly started to refuse the breast and then the bottle (with expressed milk). We ran the gamut with the pediatrican, earache (amox) then reflux (xantac then prevacid) and now perhaps to allergy....

All along I have had an issue with OS and blocked ducts mastitis etc. So about two weeks ago (after speaking with a LLL leader) I started block feeding. Which really is the only thing that I have seen an improvement with! We are still doing that - and the nursing is going much better - though he still pops off after a short feed when awake and fusses and won't go back on. However - his poops are still green and pretty runny and sometimes have some mucus (and one day last week had a couple spots of blood).

Do you think I am dealing with an allergy issue as well as oversupply or should I expect it to just take a couple weeks for his system to regulate to normal???

Any insight would be MUCH appreciated!

Default Re: How long for symptoms to subside? Allergy vs OS?

BTW, my baby boy is HAPPY almost all the time and healthy and gaining weight and sleeping through the night (for the most part)

Default Re: How long for symptoms to subside? Allergy vs OS?

If he's happy and doing well otherwise I'd give the block feeding more time and see if it disappears on its own.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous