Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can EBF babes get constipated?

Default Can EBF babes get constipated?

If yes, what would be the cause? My diet? What else would cause a sudden decrease in pooies? From 4+ a day to 1? I would even say DD (8 weeks) is nursing more frequently.

I don't want to jump to assumptions, but I also don't want to ignore a potential issue than can be fixed. Beginning last week, she got crankier and crankier - my MIL even suggested the dreaded C-word...as her poos were becoming less frequent. As soon as she started pooping like a champ again, she was back to our happy little girl.

Coincidence or something more?
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Default Re: Can EBF babes get constipated?

Constipation is almost unheard of in a breastfed baby. It's not uncommon in formula-fed ones, though, which is why so many people are inclined to suggest it as a possibility. They're so used to the elimination patterns of formula babies that they assume constipation is the norm.

After 6 weeks, breastfed babies may poop as much as several times a day or as little as once a week. Some will even go 2 weeks between poops. You should not suspect constipation in a breastfed baby unless:
    - it has been MORE than a week since baby's last poop and
    - the baby seems to be in discomfort (straining to poop, turning red, crying), and
    - when the poop does emerge, it is hard, dry, and pellet-like

What you describe doesn't sound like constipation. But it could be that your baby is still on a learning curve when it comes to pooping, and getting a poop out in an efficient and timely manner! What worked for my kids when they were having trouble getting a poop out was a warm bath. Something about that combination of upright position and warm water really got things moving. Of course, I ended up scrubbing the tub more than I wanted to...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Decrease in poop frequency is common after around 6 weeks and yes it can start suddenly. Breastfed babies may normally go several days, even a week or more, between poops. This is entirely normal and not a concern assuming breastfeeding is still going well and baby is getting enough milk.

When it comes it will likely be big, or you may see several in a row, so it's possible with that much in there it causes a bit of discomfort shortly before a big blow, although not much.

A constipated baby will strain very obviously to go and when they poop it will be firm and dry.

mommal beat me to it!

Every response eases my mind a little more
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    mommal beat me to it!
    Great minds think alike.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

No. Normal. Crying NOT linked to less poo. As long as poo is NOT hard, dark and pellet like when it comes out it's NOT constipation.

Way too lazy for formula