Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to rebuild supply with a laid-back nurser?

Default How to rebuild supply with a laid-back nurser?

My daughter nursed less than usual this weekend (unsure why? Teething, maybe. She refused a lot.) Anyway, now I feel like my supply has suffered. We've had a couple nursings where I didn't feel or notice (no gulping) any letdown at all, which NEVER happens. However, true to form, my daughter could care less. She's not fussy, not wanting to eat more often, not wanting more than her usual 2-3 bites of solids, etc.) She's not refusing to nurse like she did this weekend, just not doing much work to get my supply back up. I pumped this morning after a feeding to help things out and that just made me feel emptier throughout the rest of the day. (This is often how I feel when I pump - like I'm working on a deficit the rest of the day, rather than filling back up faster. I also think the pump does a much better job emptying me than my daughter, which I know is unusual.)

Sigh...having a rough day here.

Default Re: How to rebuild supply with a laid-back nurser?

Sorry, mama. It sucks when a baby won't nurse.

Can you remind us how old your LO is? And tell us how many times she is nursing in a 24 hour period?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She'll be 8 months on the 21st. She nurses 9-11 times a day. Almost always because I've offered...she rarely cues (prob because I offer so often!) Some of those feedings are very short, but she always (except today) stays on through at least one letdown. Her sleepy and asleep feedings are much better and she's usually trigger a few letdowns.

I just reread my initial post and I sound like a crazy person for complaining that my daughter isn't fussy! It's just that she's SO laid back about eating that I fear she wouldn't take in enough if I wasn't so proactive about feedings. Maybe the grass is always greener, but I'd love a day of her DEMANDING to eat!

No, I totally don't think you sound crazy! I'd much rather have a demanding nurser than a non-demanding one. With a demanding baby, you don't have to worry about intake, because a demanding baby will never act content if she's hungry. She will carry on until she gets fed.

I wouldn't worry, though. Just keep on offering, and don't worry if the sessions are short. The more you stress about this, the more likely your LO is to pick up on that and be even less interested in the breast... Not that I'm trying to guilt you about feeling stressed over this! It sounds like you're doing just fine, and I imagine that this is a very temporary hiccup in your nursing journey.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

DD sounds a lot like yours. I felt my supply was dropping a week or so ago, and now feel better. I just did what you're already doing: pumped after some feedings, kept offering, and focused on sleepy times when her distractability was low.

Good luck!

Hi,
    Breast compressions during dream feed and switch nursing again during dream feed worked along with drinking to thirst