Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Studies on need for iron-enriched cereal?

Default Re: Studies on need for iron-enriched cereal?

Thanks for the responses, ladies! We had DD's appointment today - I decided to go the route of not really saying what I'm planning on doing in terms of solids. Doc suggested starting with the iron-fortified cereal, then moving on to veggies after a month, then meats after another month, etc. I reminded him that I'm a vegetarian and that DD won't be getting meat. I asked him if he routinely checks iron levels at 9 months - he said he doesn't unless there's cause for concern. I said I really wasn't sure that she would take cereal (she's so independent!) and he agreed to give us a lab slip to get it checked at 9 months, so he'll have the results for her 10 month well baby check. At that point, we can decide if iron supplements are necessary, although depending on her solids intake, I may choose to start it sooner. Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

I had my DD's levels tested at her 15-month appointment last week (although she's 16 months, we were late!) and they were fine. I now regret getting her finger pricked because I knew she was fine, but she has been a really picky eater for a few months so I just wanted to check one last time. I won't have her tested again unless I think she looks anemic or something (even the doctor said her color looked good, but said if she's that picky we should test her). As I said before, she has never had store-bought rice cereal. She did eat a lot of quinoa back when she was eating purees, which has lots of iron, but won't eat it now unless I can manage to get her to eat a homemade bean/quinoa burger or something. I think family history can contribute to anemia though, too -- so I guess keep an eye, but don't worry too much.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

I made all my own baby cereals millet, oatmeal, brown rice etc. And never gave my LO any enriched infant cereal. I offer him a lot of dark leafy greens-spinach, swiss chard, kale and beans and lentils (all good sources of iron). He seems to be developing normally. Good luck making a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mp.crockett View Post
    I made all my own baby cereals millet, oatmeal, brown rice etc. And never gave my LO any enriched infant cereal. I offer him a lot of dark leafy greens-spinach, swiss chard, kale and beans and lentils (all good sources of iron). He seems to be developing normally. Good luck making a decision.
    Yeah, this is important. Even if breastfed babies DO need sources of iron after 6 months, we should be looking first to natural sources...