Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decongestant recommendations

Default decongestant recommendations

Hello moms,

I am so proud to say that baby girl is still breastfeeding exclusively (plus solids) at 7.5 months!! YAY!!

This time around it seems so easy - completely different from the experience I had with my son. phew.

My issue today is: I've got some serious sinus problems. I had surgery on them when I was a teenager and it seems that some of the same issues are starting to come back. I have a CT scan scheduled for tomorrow so my ENT can evaluate the need for another surgery. Right now I've been congested /sick for 5 weeks. Even when the sinus infection went away, and then the ear infection went away, I am still very congested. The ENT just told me not to take sudafed because it will dry up my milk, which I was already aware of and therefore avoiding it. BUT, she didn't offer any alternatives. My primary doc told me to take Benadryl at night to help dry out the sinuses because she said it wasn't as big of a problem with bf'ing, but I don't want to do that for a number of reasons, not the least of which is baby wakes up 3 times a night to nurse, and I can't be a zombie on benadryl.

I could just google this, but I wanted to hear from you all to see if you've had experience with alternatives to sudafed that really worked, but did not hurt your supply.

I should add that I really need a decongestant, not just irrigation (netti-pot) or steaming.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!
    Mama to
    O - July 2008
    and
    J - June 2012

Default Re: decongestant recommendations

I'm just getting over a nasty cold. I looked at the recommendations on Kelly Mom, and there are a number of suggestions there. Turns out regular sudafed (pseudephedrine) can be used in meth labs, so there's a reformulated kind called phenylepherine (I think the brand name is Sudafed PE). They said it was unlikely to cause problems, and since I have pretty good supply I decided to try it. I think that the new formula actually worked better for me. it didn't cause supply problems and didn't make me feel like I was on speed. Good luck.

i just made it through my second ear infection in 2013 and the sinuses clogged etcetc and I stayed away from the decongestants I was prescribed because of bf,and what has really helped instead was spike oil, this here:
    http://www.biogenicstimulants.com/mo.../tavipec.phtml
    this spike oil capsules were super effective in helping me breathe again. The only funny thing about it is you get this lavender taste/smell/breath.

Lehall, I've tried phenylephrine in the past and it didn't work as well for me, but it would be worth trying again. Because of the problems I have I took pseudoephedrine every day for many, many years. I was very aware when they changed the formula!!

Mammi, the spike oil capsules are listed as an expectorant, are you sure it was those that helped you breathe better? Were you taking anything else at the time? You poor thing, second ear infection of the year??? This was my first one (ever) and it was HORRIBLE!! I was having vertigo and terrible pain - I'm glad we're both over them!
    Mama to
    O - July 2008
    and
    J - June 2012

yes I am certain as I was not taking anything thing else at all, both times not even antibiotics only pain killer, and it worked really well once there was enough in my body after about 2 days of taking 2 w each meal so 6 per day (on empty stomach they make me nauseous, also it can give yi soft stools). It took a while to clear, about 12 days. Yeah it sure hurts like hell and it still does in fact. so the only other stuff i took was pain killer. i HATE nose spray so i never use it.
    The first time i also took this stuff:
    http://english.bionorica.de/respirat...ret%C2%AE.html
    but the seocnd time now i was too tired to bother to be honest. but it was actually helpful.
    btw if you find antibiotics which work with bf i would say do take them it is simply i am so fed up of hearing that i should stop bf (my son is four) that i did not go the gp this time around
    to avoid the humiliation

I also read Kellymom for advice on this. I've taken safe allergy medication, such as loratadine. In general, nasal sprays are supposed to be safer than oral meds, so I used Drixoral's no drip spray. I've had no supply issues with these.