Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7th baby you'd think I'd know what to do....

Default 7th baby you'd think I'd know what to do....

I have a 8 day old baby girl (my 7th) and I'm at a loss. Mainly, I am in terrible pain--pinched, cracking nipples. Shooting pains throughout the breast. She seems to latch on fine but when I try to pull her off (because of pain), I have to unclamp her jaw so she is definately biting down after the latch. I feel like there are so many issues, I don't know where to start or what to focus on first. I guess the clamping because I will be so much happier without pain!

Here's my list of issues:
    Pinched nipples
    Cracking, soreness, shooting pains
    Not many wet or poopy diapers. Poop is yellow but not seedy yet.
    At her one week yesterday, she hadn't gained any weight from her discharge weight at the hospital.
    She is sleepy, often will latch, suck a little, fall asleep. I have to pull her off and sit her up and start all over again. When she does latch long enough to get a let down, I do hear big swallows and gulps and even to the point that she cant swallow fast enough.

I am taking motrin around the clock for pain and trying to use lansinoh as often as possible. I don't know if I've given too much information but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! And yes, I have successfully breastfed all of my other babies past one year (varying lengths) so it just shows that every baby is different!

Thanks!

Default Re: 7th baby you'd think I'd know what to do....

Hi Mommy of 7 plus.
    i also suffered from sore cracked nipples with each new baby. And with my last child, I had a fabulous milk supply and an infant whose latch was funky/disorganized.
    For me. it took about 3 weeks until we worked out all the kinks.
    Just keep an eye out for those wet/soiled diapers. If the number of dirty wet ones is not 5+ then in my opinion its time to call in a IBCLC professional.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Thanks for the encouragement! I think I am getting 5 a day. I will keep better track today and see the exact number!

Wow congrats an your new baby!

Could the apparent lack of gain could be due to baby losing more weight post discharge, and baby now being on the way back up? How is the current weight compared to birth weight?

Can you see an IBCLC? This much pain and damage + possible lack of gain is a little worrying to me, particularly since you are an experienced breastfeeding mom. I had to see an IBCLC a few months ago due to latch pain with my third baby, she was like, 'aren’t you an LLL Leader?" She knew me from a meeting she had attended when she was training! I found the appointment so helpful. Hey, sometimes even us experienced moms need that extra hands on help!

Here are linked my current favorite latch and positioning tips. See if any of this is something you have not tried. Also, sometimes it takes trying the same things several times before it 'clicks'

Tips on latch and positioning http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

Laid back position http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

laid back video http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Here are two simple pictorials, one on latch, one on tongue tie http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

latch and 'Breast sandwich' article http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvfebmar04p3.html

I checked out the links and I think I might be dealing with a tongue tie issue. are there ways around it if it is mild? I notice when she cries her tongue is waaaay back there and I cant seem to get her to stretch it beyond her gum line at all. which would explain her using her gums and clamping down. would I start by going back to the pediatrician, calling a pediatric ent or a lactation consultant?

Her birth weight was 7lbs 10 oz. Her discharge weight from the hospital was 7lb 3oz. It was the same at her one week checkup. Which, granted, there could have been some play there for the differences in scales. I'll have to look up lc's in my area.

You can start by asking your LC who they would recommend to have the tie cut. A laser is the best way to have it done. You could also look up dentists in your area that use lasers to do procedures, and see if they deal with infant tongue-ties.

Is there a way around getting tt treated if it is both causing nipple damage and poor milk transfer? Certainly you can keep working on improving both if you are uncomfortable with or cannot get treatment. But if the tt is causing a physical barrier that is negatively affecting breastfeeding, then it is a serious health issue even if the tt itself causes no other issues down the line. In other words, if its negatively affecting breastfeeding there is no ‘mild.’

The latest (8th) edition of the womanly art of breastfeeding has a good discussion of tt. You can also check out the tongue tie info on this website. http://kiddsteeth.com/

Which professional you see will really depend. I agree with pp you may need to be referred by an IBCLC , unless you know of a doctor or dentist near you that treats tt due to breastfeeding issues, probably best to see an IBCLC first. Unfortunately some ENTs and peds and dentists still do not recognize the seriousness of tt when it comes to breastfeeding issues, nor are aware of how to diagnose hard to 'see' issues like posterior tongue tie. An IBCLC is more likely to notice tt but is not able to officially 'diagnose' or treat it, at least not in the US.

I was typing with one hand and maybe I came across wrong! I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to get around diagnosing. More I sm envisioning a couple of weeks of pain while trying to figure it out and what to do in the meantime!

I did put in a call to the lcs at the hospital this morning and waiting for a call back. I will also update my womanly art book. I have the 6th edition!

I appreciate all the help and feedback! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momof7plus View Post
    I was typing with one hand and maybe I came across wrong! I'm sorry if you thought I was trying to get around diagnosing. More I sm envisioning a couple of weeks of pain while trying to figure it out and what to do in the meantime!
    Not to worry, I don't think you came across like that! It's more that some moms with tongue-tied babies are afraid that releasing the tie- i.e. cutting it- is going to hurt the baby and therefore they avoid doing it even though it's causing real difficulties with nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Soooo....went to the pediatrician today at the urging of my local LC. She was up only an ounce since Friday (to 7 lb 4oz) on the same scale. They were pretty unhappy about that. I saw a NP who I didn't get the sense that she had dealt with a tongue tie before but declared that she thought baby had plenty of tongue movement and that isn't the problem. And also wants us back in by Friday and if she isn't to birth weight wants to supplement.

The local LC (who I just talked to on the phone) did suggest teaching her to use her tongue better by having her sick on my finger (baby girl hates it!). I am also still using the laid back approach which does seem minimally helpful even if she is still pinching.

So what now? I feel a little deflated only because a diagnosis would have meant help and relief in sight and now I don't k ow what to do!