Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Spit up/reflux - what is normal?

Default Spit up/reflux - what is normal?

Hi I'm fairly new to mothering So this may all seem silly to some
    My little girl is 5 weeks old and generally a healthy happy baby and is gaining plenty of weight but the last couple days her possetting seems to have gotten worse (as in after every meal unless she falls asleep) where before I may get a small bout once a day or so, I don't mind the washing but it seems to be upsetting her now where it wasn't before, the sick up is very curdy and not the same as when she burps and brings up a bit of milk
    My diet has not changed apart from I had a stir fry with a bit of chilli the other day but I don't think that would still be affecting my milk would it?
    I just want to know if there I anything else apart from diet that could cause this
    I have been giving infacol (simeticone) for gas which is working but could this be a cause?
    Her poops seem to have changed from 4-6 daily to 1-2 much larger more explosive ones daily as well
    ooh one last thing my supply seems to have increased a fair bit the last couple days as well
    I think thats everything

Any thoughts or Ideas would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: Spit up/reflux - what is normal?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

IMO, the most probable explanation for the increased spit-up frequency is that your supply has increased "a fair bit." The more milk you have, the faster it tends to come out, and the faster the milk comes out, the more likely it is that baby will gulp down some air or fill her tummy so full that a spit-up event is more likely. Have you been doing anything that would cause a sudden increase in supply, e.g. pumping or taking supply-increasing herbs? Perhaps the baby just went through a growth spurt and a bout of frequent feeding? That can also increase supply.

When a baby's spit-up is curdy, that only indicates that the milk has been down in the tummy for a while before it came back up; exposure to stomach acid and digestive enzymes is what causes the curds to form. The poops sound totally normal for a breastfed baby.

Things to try:
    - reclined feeding- use gravity to slow the milk flow and baby may swallow less air
    - feed on demand- you should always do this but if you've been trying to stretch out the time between feedings, that could explain the increase in spit-up
    - try burping the baby in between breasts
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you!
    I have been pumping, your right! I was trying to create a supply in the freezer for outings as its freezing here at the moment and so my partner and mother in law can look after baby occasionally as well. I've not gotten very far though only 4oz all together.
    Is there anyway to create a milk bank without increasing my supply? I always feed on demand, if I'm honest I didnt realise there was any other way when I started breastfeeding.
    If done some reading on over supply and I think you are right on the money, her poop it fairly watery too at the moment which fits in as well. Any tips on shrinking my supply back down?

Thank you for your advice, I get so worried I'm messing things up!

The easiest way to get supply to match demand is to simply nurse on demand and avoid the pump for a while. Eventually your body will detect the difference between the amount of milk you're making and the amount the baby is taking, and will throttle back on production. It's awesome that you embraced on-demand feeding right from the beginning- there's no better way to feed a baby!

What sort of pump are you using, how often are you using it, and about how much milk are you taking out each time? Have you introduced the bottle to the baby yet, and if so, how much milk are you putting into the bottles? Bear with the questions; they are relevant to how much you should be pumping in order to create your bank.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I'm using a manual pump and doing a spot of hand expressing, I was only trying to get one extra feed out a day to save but I would find that as soon as I had done it baby decides she is hungry and I end up feeding her what I have just expressed so i have to try again another time so I have ended up expressing 2 or 3 times in a day but never seem to be able to keep for the bank.
    I'm probably feeding her about 3 oz when she has a bottle but I can't pump much more then that anyway. She has had the bottle already and seems totally unfased about and difference between nipple and the bottle, she has always been a very keen feeder! .

Hmm, it's odd that a relatively small amount of pumping, with a hand pump no less, should kick your supply into overdrive! But stranger things have happened.

It sounds like you're falling victim to a very common pumping issue, which is that you're immediately using your expressed milk instead of saving it, as you intended. Next time you pump and the baby immediately gets hungry, just take a deep breath, stick your expressed milk in the fridge, and put her to the breast. As long as the baby is a decent nurser, she will get her meal, because the breast is always making milk, and because it makes milk fastest when the breast is emptier. It may take longer than usual for the baby to get fed, and she may want to feed again sooner than usual, but she will get enough. Particularly if your supply is on the high side, as I suspect.

That's great, if I can do that I may try to do it only once every few days so as to not over encourage milk production.
    Thanks again for your advice, I wish I'd know about you guys before!