Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mucous poop - do I need to worry

Default Mucous poop - do I need to worry

Hi! I have a 7 week old girl, and have a question about her dirty diapers. She has had mucous off and on (mucous is usually present more often than not) from around 1-2 weeks old. It is occasionally greenish, but is usually an egg white or yellow color. I consider her stools watery, but she only has 1-3 a day. Her weight gain is stellar, and she is otherwise a typical newborn with some grassiness, some restlessness with sleeping, etc. I am just trying to figure out if the presence of mucous in and of itself warrants eliminating dairy from my diet...any thoughts?

I have a 27 month old son who had issues with green, bloody mucousy stools and ended up on a complete elimination diet and never saw complete resolution with his bowels...he just eventually outgrew whatever it was that was bothering his gut, and now has no allergy issues at all. I got so much help from this these forums, and feel like I should have a food handle on this poop stuff, but I can't seem to figure out if I need to do something at this point or not. Because my son had issues with his bowels, i guess i am still not completely confident in ascertaining what is "normal" and what is not. It seems that some mamas jump on eliminating things with the presence of mucous alone, while others say not to worry in the absence of other issues...any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
    Last edited by @llli*ndc106; February 12th, 2013 at 04:48 PM.

Default Re: Mucous poop - do I need to worry

Im not quite sure i understand what you mean by mucous in the diaper. Maybe (i know this sounds gross) but photos of your diaper.
    Or if there is serious concern id bring a diaper to the pediatrician..?

i also wonder what folks mean by mucousy-I figure sometimes it's in the eye of the beholder.

However I would not think elimination of dairy or anything else warranted merely by poop appearance. Normal breastfed baby poop can vary widely in color and consistency.

On the other hand, when a mom is concerned, especially with your history, it makes sense to look into things further.

Overproduction and/or forceful letdown can cause some of the issues that get blamed on dairy. And mucous could have other causes as well.

Although moms diet can cause issues, it is pretty rare. I personally think that, generally, moms are advised to try food elimination much too quickly and frequently.

The academy of breastfeeding medicine has a protocol for dealing with possible food allergy in breastfed baby.

http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 12th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

with LLLMeg. I wouldn't do a diet elimination over mucous in an otherwise healthy, happy, growing baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*molufs10 View Post
    Im not quite sure i understand what you mean by mucous in the diaper. Maybe (i know this sounds gross) but photos of your diaper.
    Or if there is serious concern id bring a diaper to the pediatrician..?
    Her diapers have globs of opaque or yellow stringy stuff that resembles raw egg whites. I will try to post a picture if I can get one that shows it well.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    i also wonder what folks mean by mucousy-I figure sometimes it's in the eye of the beholder.

However I would not think elimination of dairy or anything else warranted merely by poop appearance. Normal breastfed baby poop can vary widely in color and consistency.

On the other hand, when a mom is concerned, especially with your history, it makes sense to look into things further.

Overproduction and/or forceful letdown can cause some of the issues that get blamed on dairy. And mucous could have other causes as well.

Although moms diet can cause issues, it is pretty rare. I personally think that, generally, moms are advised to try food elimination much too quickly and frequently.

The academy of breastfeeding medicine has a protocol for dealing with possible food allergy in breastfed baby.

http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf
    Thank you very much for the advice and link...I wish I had read this article when I was going through this with my son! I am wondering if I do haves possible overproduction and/or forceful letdown issue, as she does occasionally pull off with the initial letdown and will sometimes cry as if there is just too much to keep up with, and I do usually see milk spraying out when this happens. But could this cause mucous stools? I know I have heard about the green, frothy stools from these conditions, but have not heard of mucous being a symptom...

Anyways, I appreciate your input. Although I will absolutely do an elimination diet again if I need to, I certainly would rather not I just don't want to be overlooking anything and possibly create lifelong allergies for her; but it sounds like from yours and the other response that I may be overreacting to this a little. Would you consider persistent mucous in the absence of other symptoms a "normal" or benign variation of breastfed stools?

Would you consider persistent mucous in the absence of other symptoms a "normal" or benign variation of breastfed stools?
    I don;t think anyone can really answer this-it's borderline a medical question if you know what I mean....

But I think it is ok to say what we would do in your shoes...(?)

I think as long as my baby was happy and growing well I would not worry much. Of course I would worry a little, as that is what moms do.

But, If my baby was having poops that looked really odd to me, I would probably call her pediatrician just to check. (But I trust my very breastfeeding friendly and BF knowledgable pediatrician to never suggest something like food eliminations that are going to make my life difficult unless it is REALLY needed.)

with LLLMeg. I would only add that a trip to the doctor may not bring certainty. The advice about dietary eliminations differs so much from pediatrician to pediatrician, and I get the sense that doctors don't really know if dietary eliminations are a positive or negative step to take when an allergy or intolerance is suspected. I mean, obviously dietary eliminations can alleviate symptoms, but I don't get the feeling that anyone knows whether or not they help or hurt the underlying condition, or whether their long-term effects are beneficial or not.

I know that's all confusing and wishy-washy...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"