Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what does "let-down" feel like?

Default what does "let-down" feel like?

I have no clue what this is, really ... or what it feels like ... help

Default Re: what does "let-down" feel like?

I think there is no standard sensation- it feels like really strong pinching and pulling for about 10 seconds for me...

the pinching/pulling is in the breast? or the nipple? or both?

I never feel my let-down- never have. I guess some people can't.

Everyone is different. Mine feels tingly all over the breast. Kind of itchy for just a few seconds.

Letdown is when your milk letsdown and you can then hear baby swallowing. It is when your milk starts to flow.

what IS let down? sorry if I sound like a dmiwit

My let down feels like a tingling and then pulling sensation...sometimes it's a sharp sensation and other times I just feel a slight tingle. (But I always feel let down, and my mother swears she still feels it when she hears a baby cry)

Let down is the sensation you have when your milk starts to flow...I hope someone else can give you a better or more accurate definintion.

My let down feels like my breasts are having a contraction. They get very tight feeling all over and kind of hard and my nipples get really erect and thick and a little numb feeling. I liked Martha Sears description of it being an army of a million men marching into your breasts with milk - or something like that. When your baby is beginning to nurse, she is getting milk, just not a rush of it, and when your milk lets down, the flow picks up considerably, which is why you usually begin to hear you baby swallowing a lot quicker and louder and then eventually it slows down again and if she continues to nurse it will let down again and so forth until she is done nursing. My son usually did not nurse past the first let down. He has always been a very quick nurser.

a million little men marching in your breast! I love it! What a clever description!
    Mine feels like a rush, then a rock-boob sensation, then my little man slows down his sucking and starts taking deep drags of milk. Happens in both breasts, however, regardless of which one he is on.
    When I'm pumping at work, if I look at a picture of my boy, the let-down happens faster. I don't feel them all the time, but my boy is growing and healthy, so I figure everything is working out okay!

thanx ladies! I have felt the sensations you describe and obviously - since my boy gained 4 pounds in 5 weeks - it IS happening!