Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's causing constant constipation battle

Unhappy What's causing constant constipation battle

This is my first time posting here and I hope someone can help. My daughter is 10 months old and has been breastfed since birth. We started baby led weaning at 6 months and she was keen to eat small quantities of all kinds of foods from the beginning. We had 2 weeks of normal bowel movements but since then have been battling constipation.

I felt that perhaps she wasn't ready for solids so scaled right back for a while, then offered her every other day, then every day one meal only and found we were just about managing to remain on track. But once again she seems blocked up - she is now on day 14 without a bm (except a few v small thumbnail sized poos - sorry to be graphic!) on day 11. This is despite no solids for past 5 days, orange juice in the morning, and prunes every day before that. Doctor examined her on day 11 and said her stomach was soft. She strained and cried that day trying to go but hasn't strained since then and seems very content, not unhappy or uncomfortable.

I am so worried - this cant be normal, can it?

I really want to work out whats causing it. She loves rice cakes, porridge, cream cheese and yoghurt- could any of these be causing it in your experience? ( she does eat fruit and veg too, just perhaps not enough?).

I'd be so grateful for your thoughts. I, and my doctor, have been reluctant to prescribe meds, preferring to ease off solids until she is ready but i am becoming v worried.

Default Re: What's causing constant constipation battle

Yep. Rice is a known constipator. As sp back off the rice cakes and bananas if you are feeding those to her. And breast feed MORE and feed P fruits. So Prunes, pears,plums and peaches. Don't feed your baby orange juice. It's really really high in sugar and that is not good for a baby that young. Normally I would tell you to feed her fruit instead but you are actually not supposed to feed citrus fruits like oranges until after the year point. So No juice. And especially no orange juice.

Way too lazy for formula

Is Porridge also grain based? I'd leave that out for now as well.

Way too lazy for formula

Avoid the porridge, particularly if it isn't whole grain. Also stay away from bananas, rice, apples (the pectin in the skin is the problem), and dairy, particularly cheese. In addition to the "P" fruits mentioned by the PP, offer apricots and cherries (they're in the same plant family as plums, pears, and peaches), and also blueberries and grapes. At 10 months, you can very safely eliminate pretty much all your kid's solid food while remaining confident that breastmilk alone can meet her needs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"