Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grumpy almost 2 week old

Default Re: Grumpy almost 2 week old

Thanks for the update! Sorry things haven't improved...but you're hanging in there! It really sounds like he (and you!) would do better if you could wear him around a bit. I mean, I know the ultimate goal is to be able to set him down for a few minutes, but if you're carrying him around all day anyways, you might as well find something that lets you be hands-free.

There are wraps and carriers. Everyone (and every baby) is different, but I always preferred carriers, even for newborns. It just seemed easier to plop them in and take them out easily when necessary, without a lot of wrapping and adjusting. There's are some websites where you can "rent" them - just to try different ones for a little while and see what works best, so you don't waste a lot of money. FWIW, I LOVE my Boba carrier. I had my newborn in there without any sort of special insert or something. I'm sure I used it when she was just a few weeks old. Even with her floppy head, it kept her in there nice and snug. Ring slings can be good, too. Just some thoughts. I wish I had some magic answers for you!

I'm sure others will chime in, but it sounds like his weight gain is just fine!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I've tried him in my Ergo and he detests it - in fact, he SCREAMS. The moby's alright, except I always manage to make where his head goes too lose and so I have to hold his head upright; I might as well just carry him when I do that! I just can't seem to get it down right, rar.

And yes - at his 2 week check up he'd gained 2 lbs. He was in the 99th percentile for weight, 96th for head circumference and 95th for height. But he was overbaked, so I'm sure that had something to do with his high measurements.

Anyway, I'm just super tired. It's frustrating being zombiefied while taking care of a newborn and a 16 month old. I'm simply wiped and that translates into me being an emotional and physical wreck: You could beat me, or deprive me of food or water and I'd be alright - just not sleep.

Thank you all for listening.
    The Three Loves of My Life:
    SO: 12/12/2005
    DS: 10/11/2011
    DS: 1/27/2013

We totally get it, mama! Sleep deprivation is something we all joke about after it's over but the truth is that it is no joke.

Any chance of getting someone to help you during the day? Maybe a sitter who can play with the 16 month old while you nap with the baby?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Grumpy 4 week old

I don't really have anyone, no! My mother will take the elder baby for a day every or every other weekend, but that's about it.

Uhm. I do have a question, though: there is NO way that this baby is hungry, his belly is fuller than Santa Claus' after a hearty Christmas meal. (Also, he's super gassy but I limit my caffeine and eat very little dairy, but ...) Is it okay to give him a pacifier for like, 45 minutes so I can take a bath or just breathe?

I would. You can always discontinue it later if it becomes a problem. But I think it would be fine.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

It's recommended that pacifier use be delayed until around 3-4 weeks. So you should be fine using one at this point!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

OKAY.

Hopefully this is the last time I bump this but lately the baby's been snacking and wanting the boob all the time, which I realize is probably because he's in his 4-6 week old growth spurt, but my GAWD: He won't properly eat. He just sits on the boob and wants it all the time, but ... hangs out with it in his mouth. His pees are fine, but his poops have become dry and he's become very gassy and a lot of times, unable to poop to where his belly is ridiculously hard.

Also, I'm dealing with baby blues big time. Does anyone have any suggestions for that?