Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grumpy almost 2 week old

Default Grumpy almost 2 week old

A little background:

My son was born 1/27 in a natural, unmedicated birth at the hospital. We've been nursing ever since - but man oh man. I am not getting any sleep, which wouldn't be such a big deal, except for the fact that I also have a 15 month old to take care of and am home alone nearly every day, all day.

This kid wants to nurse -all the time-. I try to nurse on demand, when I'm not trying to feed, change, or interact with my other child, but it's really, really getting hard on me. My nipples are beaten to hell because shallow latch/short tongues/flat nipples are all a factor, and I just seriously feel like I'm going to die. In the past 2 days, I think I've gotten about 4 hours of sleep total.

DS won't nurse laying down, he doesn't want to be held by me unless a boob is in his mouth, and I'm just at my wit's end. SO helps as much as he can, but he works 10 hour days and has a 35 minute commute each way, so by the time he gets home, he's dead tired himself.

I just need some relief. Maybe reassurance. I'm just not sure what to do at this point. His belly is distended and he's -full-, he just wants to suck suck suck suck suck, and I'm almost too tired to even put my boob in his mouth anymore, not to mention how horrible I feel that I'm basically having to neglect my other child because of the CONSTANT nursing.

Help. :/
    The Three Loves of My Life:
    SO: 12/12/2005
    DS: 10/11/2011
    DS: 1/27/2013

Default Re: Grumpy almost 2 week old

This will pass, mama. Just like everything else. But I have to say that it chills my blood to think about the level of exhaustion you must be experiencing. Can you get help from a babysitter or family member? If you could nap just for a couple of hours with the baby while someone else took care of the toddler... I am sure you'd rebound a lot!

Don't worry about "neglecting" your older child. This is very temporary and your older child won't remember it. And the gift of a sibling is worth the price of a temporarily distracted and overwhelmed mama.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Would you be willing to try nursing in a sling, wrap or some type of carrier? That way you could nurse but still have your hands free and be somewhat mobile (that wouldn't help with the exhaustion, I realize, but you could interact with your toddler while nursing, etc.).
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Can you get help with your older child? As you clearly know, your newborns behavior is normal for this age, and it does get better. I assume weight gain and output (poops) are normal?

Are you getting help with the latch issues from an IBCLC? If the latch can be improved that may improve the constant nursing issue as well as easing your pain.

have you tried laid back nursing? Good for shallow latch and also for mommy needing a little nap. Also frees up an arm so you can interact more easily with your toddler. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html
    You do not have to be as laid back as the mom in the picture or in the video, just slightly leaning back can work better for some moms. Baby can be in any position. Adjust your position and baby's as needed.

I've tried laying back but he wants noooothing to do with it. What's odd is he has a broken clavicle because he was so big, but loves to nurse cross cradle while laying on that side. He won't do football hold and is 'eh' about cradle. He likes to nub at my boob while we're laying side by side, but we don't often do that because the bed is too close to the big baby and as fun as having both of them awake at 3am sounds ... :/

I also had another question. I know people say that you can't overfeed a breastfed baby but ... we've been having some spit up issues lately, to the point of him spitting up nearly -ounces- of breastmilk. It usually only happens once a day, and it just happened now with his second of 2 big poops per day. (The poops had been more regular but smaller for a while and are now consisting of 2-3 HUGE blowouts per day. Goodbye, onesies.) He basically soaked me in breastmilk, through my pants down into my undies! He's hard to burp and I always make sure he burps at least one huge burp ... but I was curious, because he screams afterward like he wants the boob again and I just ... ugh.

I sound like such a noob, and I realize I mostly am since my first son had pumped bottles for the first 2.5 months of his life. I'm just getting a little worried. :[

You really cannot overfeed a breastfed baby, because YOU are not in charge of the feeding the way you are with a bottle. You know how when you bottle-feed you can tip the bottle up to encourage the baby to take a little more, or finish the bottle? And how you can slip the bottle back into the baby's mouth if he turns his head away? That's how you overfeed a baby, and you definitely can't do those things with the breast! The baby eats as much as he wants, and then he either unlatches or transitions from active "nutritive" suckling to "comfort" nursing, at which point milk flow slows to a trickle or stops altogether.

That doesn't mean that a breastfed baby will never take in too much milk. Breastfed babies sometimes do overfill their tummies, particularly when mom's supply is overabundant and it's easy to stimulate a fast milk flow. But it's okay!!! Overeating once in a while is part of the breastfeeding learning experience- baby has to learn how to identify the feeling of a full tummy and stop nursing. A few massive spit-ups are par for the course as baby learns the skill of reading his own satiation cues.

Of course, spit-up happens regardless of how much a baby eats. The muscle sphincters which keep tummy contents down where they belong are weak in young babies, and that makes it easy for your baby's meals (or parts of them) to come back up. Those muscles will strengthen in time, but until they do spit-up will be part of your life. Nursing right after a big spit-up is actually the perfect way to deal with the problem, since milk going down will neutralize any tummy acid that came up the esophagus when the baby spat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks so much to all of you, especially mommal; you were super helpful last year when I needed help and I could just kiss your face!

I tried the reclining/leaning back nursing but it didn't work. He would suck a couple times and then just faceplant into my boobs.

And do any of you guys have opinions about which carriers are best for nursing? I'm short but rather busty (at least an E), and while my friend gave me a Mobywrap, I'm not entirely sure how I would go about nursing a newborn in one.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*boog View Post
    Thanks so much to all of you, especially mommal; you were super helpful last year when I needed help and I could just kiss your face!
    That's so sweet! Thanks!

I think it's hard to nurse in a sling when you're well-endowed. I never mastered it. One thing that might help is tucking a rolled up washcloth underneath your breast- that can help prop it up into the right position without you needing to use your hand. You can certainly try nursing in the Moby- just experiment and see how it goes! And if you like the Moby, look into woven carriers- the Moby is a knit so it tends to stretch, and the baby gradually sags down towards your tummy. Woven fabrics, on the other hand, don't stretch as much.

if you still want to try the nursing uphill/laid back thing, you can try latching baby first and then leaning back. Remember you need not lean back real far-just ti where you are comfortable and supported, and baby can be in any position on you at all, as long as they can reach the breast. Also you can help and support baby with your hands or arms as much as needed-some people think laid back means baby self attaches with no help. While yes, this position facilitates self attachment, that is not how most mothers and babys do things.

Default Re: Grumpy almost 4 week old

Whee. I'm back.

He's now 4 weeks old and while that's good and dandy he has been killing me recently.

He will nurse and fall asleep. I will burp him and try to wake him up and put the nipple at his mouth and he won't take it. So then I change him and get him ready to rest and then he wakes up - EVERY SINGLE TIME - and wants to nurse again. He does this nearly all day. Night and day.

I just don't know what to do. Should I get a scale and make sure he's getting enough? During the day I can't really devote every single hour of every single day to halfway nursing an uninterested baby. I have an appointment in 2ish weeks for his 6 week check up - but I think I might lose my sanity by then.

I gave in and just tried a paci. He enjoyed it while he was against me, but then when I set him down to go do something with my 16 month old, he spit it out and started shrieking again.

I'm in tears I'm so frustrated. Seriously. He's been SO uninterested in getting a good latch and actually eating lately. He's not sick from what I can tell, he's just supremely fussy and it's seriously killing me.

My supply is fine - overly good, actually, to the point of being over abundant. I just ... ugh. I need some sleep and I need some time without a baby screaming. I can't hold him all day all the time, but he's not content unless he's in someone's arms, or being nursed, and even then.