Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week check up and weight gain issues

Default 2 week check up and weight gain issues

Hi there,

I just got back from taking my son to his 2 week checkup and was disappointed that he had only gained one ounce I have been feeding him every 2 hrs waking him during the day and at night he'll go as long as 3 hrs and will want to feed again. His diaper output has always been good so I wasn't concerned until now that he isn't getting enough. I'm afraid I'm losing the support of my dh with the whole BF. I'm a FTM and our son was born 1/21 8 lbs 2 oz with his weight today at 7 lbs 6 oz (up 1 oz from last appt 1/24).

The dr has me coming in on Monday to recheck his weight. At this time, he said to just keep doing what I'm doing and we'll go from there. He mentioned that possibly my milk came in later than I thought?? Other than the lack of weight gain, my lo is doing well. I really would like to keep exclusively BF and hearing the dr. mention that I might need to supplement really hit me hard.

I would love to hear from you ladies for some advice and support. I'm trying not to let this get to me.

Thanks in advance.

ames

Default Re: 2 week check up and weight gain issues

I'd see an IBCLC before supplementing and even if that is the route needed you may be able to pump and supplement with your own milk. Perhaps you can rent a scale and do a series of before and after weight checks. Was the weight on 1/24 at the hospital or on the same scale at your doctor's office? It's also possible that that wasn't the lowest weight and your son may have gained more than you think. Don't panic, just offer to nurse as much as possible this weekend.

When you say output has been good, can you describe more specifically? I am wondering about poops-how many a day and approximate size? Also do you know what babies lowest weight was? and are you having any pain while nursing? also were the last two weight checks done on the same scale?

A doctor mentioning you may need to supplement is pretty common place. It sounds like doctor is not all that alarmed and is willing to be a little bit wait and see. Whether you actually need to or not can be assessed by many factors, and even if formula supplementation IS warranted, it need not be the end of breastfeeding! Ever! Please remember that.

I agree with pp, if your baby really is not getting enough breastmilk it is important to understand why, and an ibclc can help with that. Formula only treats the symptom, not the underlying issue.

Before the Monday weight check, I suggest nursing as often as you can and try breast compressions if that seems applicable.

I'm afraid I'm losing the support of my dh with the whole BF
    I am sure your husband is concerned just as you are. But the science is overwhelmingly conclusive that breastfeeding is the healthiest choice for infant feeding, even when/if there are some weight gain concerns. Even in the rare case supplementation with formula is necessary, breastfeeding should still always continue. This is according to the AAP.

You and your husband may find some reassurance and assistance from your local LLL or a lactation consultant.

oh I forgot-breast compression info http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

The weight on 1/24 was at the pediatrician's office so it was the same scale. I've been feeding him as much as possible in hopes of seeing some progress when we go in to the dr's tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    I'd see an IBCLC before supplementing and even if that is the route needed you may be able to pump and supplement with your own milk. Perhaps you can rent a scale and do a series of before and after weight checks. Was the weight on 1/24 at the hospital or on the same scale at your doctor's office? It's also possible that that wasn't the lowest weight and your son may have gained more than you think. Don't panic, just offer to nurse as much as possible this weekend.

Sure. He gives me on average 5 poopy diapers and they are all about the size of a half dollar coin. I believe the first weight check at the pediatrician was his lowest weight at 7 lbs 5 oz so the second weighing for the 2 week appt was on the same scale. I don't recall getting a weight check when we were getting discharged from the hospital. I don't have any pain while nursing. I have a problem with my left nipple which is in process of healing - it's more flat than my other nipple and I had what looked like thin layer of skin over old milk?...it looks like I have a little chunk missing if that helps. I will feel it once he latches but after he starts sucking I don't feel any sort of pain at all.

My pediatrician has a lactation consultant that works with his office and I'll be calling her tomorrow to see what else we can do. Again, thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to try the compressions as well. It is really important to me to keep up with the breast feeding and I do not want to give up so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    When you say output has been good, can you describe more specifically? I am wondering about poops-how many a day and approximate size? Also do you know what babies lowest weight was? and are you having any pain while nursing? also were the last two weight checks done on the same scale?

A doctor mentioning you may need to supplement is pretty common place. It sounds like doctor is not all that alarmed and is willing to be a little bit wait and see. Whether you actually need to or not can be assessed by many factors, and even if formula supplementation IS warranted, it need not be the end of breastfeeding! Ever! Please remember that.

I agree with pp, if your baby really is not getting enough breastmilk it is important to understand why, and an ibclc can help with that. Formula only treats the symptom, not the underlying issue.

Before the Monday weight check, I suggest nursing as often as you can and try breast compressions if that seems applicable.

I am sure your husband is concerned just as you are. But the science is overwhelmingly conclusive that breastfeeding is the healthiest choice for infant feeding, even when/if there are some weight gain concerns. Even in the rare case supplementation with formula is necessary, breastfeeding should still always continue. This is according to the AAP.

You and your husband may find some reassurance and assistance from your local LLL or a lactation consultant.