Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block feeding and stool color

Default Block feeding and stool color

My LO is almost 8 weeks old. We've been block feeding for about 3 days. She's had various shades of green stool for about 4-5 days. One time it had a scant amount of mucus and she also had a dirty diaper that was normal yellow/brown, yellow/green and then most of the time it was green. I don't think it's a dairy allergy. I know in the beginning I drank a ton of milk and I only recall 1-2 green stools. Plus she doesn't really have any other symptoms except the stool color, fussiness (at times) and spitting up. Her stool consistency is typically normal and she is being treated for reflux. She is also grunting and straining when she's trying to have a bm. Since her stool consistency should I still be concerned about the green color. Should I call her doctor? She's also hit a growth spurt so she wants to eat all the time and only is fussy if I'm not fast enough to get her on my breast or if she's not satisfied. She has her 2 month check up on the 18th. Anyone else have these issues?

Default Re: Block feeding and stool color

I had this problem with my LO. He was around 5-6 weeks old. He's almost 8 now and it basically resolved on its own. I would let him nurse longer on one side but that was really only thing I did. I was given advice that if they are gaining weight and having enough diapers not to worry. If there's blood in the stool then I should call Dr. We never had that and now he has 1-2 yellow seedy poops. Hope this helps. There's so much I just don't know about what to expect with breastfeeding and I'm so grateful for these forums! Puts my mind at ease on daily basis.
    Good luck to you

Green can be a perfectly normal variation in stool color. As long as the poop is loose and moist it is a normal consistency. If baby was having dairy allergy you would see much more severe symptoms.
    Block feeding is a strategy for reducing milk production. So it is important to be sure you have overproduction before block nursing. If you have forceful letdown and that is causing any problems, that can be addressed wiht other strategies

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Block feeding is a strategy for reducing milk production. So it is important to be sure you have overproduction before block nursing. If you have forceful letdown and that is causing any problems, that can be addressed wiht other strategies

Symptoms of oversupply/forceful letdown:
    - Mom frequently feels full or engorged
    - Mom leaks a lot
    - Mom feels strong letdown sensation
    - Mom can pump a large amount of milk with little effort (if pumping)
    - Baby frequently fusses at the breast- pulling off, clamping down, crying
    - Baby feeds rapidly, in as little as 5-10 minutes
    - If baby pulls off breast while nursing, mom may see milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - Baby may cough, gag, splutter, or make a clicking or clucking sound while nursing
    - Baby may gain weight very rapidly
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"