Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BFing constantly and not eating solids at 9 months corrected

Default BFing constantly and not eating solids at 9 months corrected

Hello, I could really do with some help please.

My daughter has had a LONG battle to get to breastfeeding full time. She was 3 months early, went home on oxygen and tube fed at 4 months old, we eventually got her to feed orally and I sucessfully got her to latch on and went to demand breastfeeding about 4 months ago (8months old/5months old corrected).

For a couple of months she was eating solids but for the past month or so she will has decreased how much she eats to almost nothing a day. The breastfeeding is now every 30-60 minutes in the day, and 2-3 hourly at night. I enjoy breastfeeding my daughter, and while she turns 1 on Sunday I'm not ready to stop, not after the battle we have had, and neither is she. But I am getting it in the neck from the dieticians and therapists who say I need to withold breastfeeding to try and get her to eat food.

I just don't know what to do. I feel like if I withold milk she is surely going to get really upset with me and not get enough fluid. She screams and cries if I don't feed her. On the other hand, she needs to eat something else. She rarely drinks from a sippy cup/bottle/etc, and that's something else they want us to push while witholding breastfeding.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance. Lo's Mum
    Mum of 4. DS1 Dec 05, DD1 Feb 07, DS2 Apr 08, DD2 Feb 12
    Currently and premature DD2 after for 6 months while DD2 was tube fed. Successfully re-lactated!

Default Re: BFing constantly and not eating solids at 9 months corre

Your LO doesn't turn a year on Sunday- not really. Her corrected age is still only 9 months, since she was 3 months premature. Right? So at this point she is doing exactly what many 9 month-old babies are doing: relying on breastmilk for nutrition and showing relatively little interest in solids. As my pediatrician put it, until 12 months "solids are only for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills; breastmilk (or formula) alone meet all of a baby's nutritional needs." And after 12 months, many babies continue to be predominantly breastfed, since it's not like the transition from needing only breastmilk or formula to needing a ton of solids happens overnight. Many babies- including both of mine- remain mostly breastfed until well into their second year.

I am sorry you're getting pressure from the dietitians and therapists. I really do not understand their logic. There's no reason to push cup/bottle use- that's something your LO will come to when she's ready, just like all kids. I know my kids weren't interested in sippy cups until around age 1, and they were term babies. There's nothing special about using a cup or bottle that facilitates motor development or oral development better than breastfeeding. Breastfeeding is the NORMAL way to foster NORMAL oral development- cups and bottles are a second-tier option. And withholding breastfeeding just makes you and baby miserable, and removes a reliable and complete form of nutrition from her diet. It doesn't automatically make a baby eat more solids.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

i agree with mommal. i think that "starving her out" isn't a great idea. it might just give her the blues instead of allowing more room for solids. i really think an early baby needs the extra few months of mother's milk. withholding breast milk might make you feel badly, with no great result anyway.
    i would keep solids in the picture, but in a more low pressure manner. don't stress them, and don't feel stressed when she doesn't take them. she's an early bird.., she has plenty of time to catch up!

Thank you so much for your replies, and even more so for reassuring me that what we are doing is completely ok. While feeding so often sometimes isn't practical, I know she's not always going to be like this, and I'm sure she will let me know what she needs. Luckily, her development otherwise is ok, and I think that is why the therapists and dieticians expect her to 'eat' like a 'normal' baby aged 9 months (whatever normal is). I suppose they have guidelines.
    Currently and premature DD2 after for 6 months while DD2 was tube fed. Successfully re-lactated!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*losmum View Post
    Luckily, her development otherwise is ok, and I think that is why the therapists and dieticians expect her to 'eat' like a 'normal' baby aged 9 months (whatever normal is). I suppose they have guidelines.
    This is how my "normal" babies ate at 9 months: they breastfed every 1-3 hours around the clock. They would not take food off the spoon. They did not take bottles, and had little to no interest in sippy cups. Sometimes they would eat bits of solids I put on their highchair trays, but more often they would just throw the solids on the floor or stuff them down the side of the highchair. Until around 14-15 months, they ate about a teaspoon or two of solid food per day. Some days they ate no solids at all.

I'd love to know what the therapists would have made of them!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sounds just like Lo! Thank you, I'm glad she's following the same pattern as others! She's done it differently to my other three, but Lo's way of doing it still didn't feel 'wrong' to me. I figured she would keep telling me what she needs and when she needs it, just as she always has! The early problems with feeding mean we can't get rid of the dietician and speech and language therapist, but I can at least feel supported in that I feel what we are doing currently is right for us. Thank you.

DD1 was born at 34 weeks, 2 days. She didn't really start on solids until just after a year (not corrected, 11 months corrected).
    DD2 and DD3 were born at 37 weeks, 3 days. They didn't really hit their stride on solids until after 11 months either.

They taught me that they'll eat what they are ready to eat, when they're ready! When they're breastfeeding, they're getting the most complete diet possible. So I have learned not to worry about replacing that with a few solid foods that won't offer the same complete nutritional coverage.

Even with DD3 now (turns 1 a week this Saturday), she's only just started eating cheerio type cereal about 3 weeks ago. Bits of cheese, organic applesauce, avocado.... She'll get there when she's ready. There's no rush. My older two are great eaters, she will be too.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

They're probably worried about worsening oral aversions. Will she play with food in her mouth? Let you put fingers in her mouth? Mouth toys? There are other ways to work with texture/oral issues without forcefeeding (of course) or withholding breastmilk.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)