Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decrease in milk supply w/ pumping

Default decrease in milk supply w/ pumping

I pumped every 3-4 hrs but, lately being so exhausted I've let 9+ hrs pass by at night because I knock out before the next pumping session and I see a HUGE decrease in my milk supply from 2.5-3 oz to .5-1 oz and it's literally made me cry because I know this is the best milk for her. I feel I'm failing, I couldn't latch her for weeks and now I can't at least even give her the greatest milk... my husband won't let me give up he wants me to keep going for her, he knows how important it is for the both of us but to exclu. pumping is so hard. I've been supplementing her with formula she's moved up to 4oz in a feed way more than I could pump. I've struggled with my milk supply from the beginning giving her both BM and FF. I really don't want to give her FF only what can I do? please help.

Default Re: decrease in milk supply w/ pumping

She's still not latching, huh? That's so hard!

Tips for increasing pumping yield:
    - Pump more often (aim for 10-12 times in a 24 hour period)
    - Pump for longer periods (aim for 15-20 minutes)
    - Use the best possible pump- an exclusively pumping mom should be using a hospital-grade rental pump
    - Use correctly sized shields
    - Combine hand expression with pumping
    - See a lactation consultant for in-person assistance

Sorry if that is all stuff you've tried!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: decrease in milk supply w/ pumping

I think I may be getting period back after PP for 4wks. I've been feeling really crampy, sore boobs (hurts to pump), and no PP bleeding for the past two days. How long will this last? should I keep pumping every 3hrs even nothing is barely coming out? and can I try using MothersLove more milk right now or later?