Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Life is Good finally...thanks to you wonderful people!!!

Default Life is Good finally...thanks to you wonderful people!!!

I had posted last week about my little one not gaining weight and my ped wanting me to supplement with formula. A few of you suggested tongue-tie being the issue...turns out you were right. We had it clipped today and in the first feeding (immediately afterwards) she fed without the nipple shield, unlatched by herself for the first time, and seemed truly satisfied after nursing off both breasts.
    However, I do have a question for you all. I forgot to set my alarm last night to feed her due to the fact that she always woke me up...She slept through the entire night after feeding last at 10 and I had to wake her up at 6 (when hubbies alarm went off). When do I count my blessings and stop setting the alarm???

Default Re: Life is Good finally...thanks to you wonderful people!!!

Oh...she is 8 weeks old...was 7lb15 when born, 7lb2 at lowest measured, and 8lb12 last week Monday.

I'm so glad to hear that things are going a little better now! Were you given stretching exercises to do in your LO's mouth? It's important to keep the edges of the tie from reattaching as it heals.

As for the STTN, it may have just been a one-off thing; but I'm not sure I'd let her go quite that long without nursing on a regular basis. Especially if you want her weight gain to catch up a bit.

I was not given any exercises to do. What do you suggest?

I was told to put a tiny bit of coconut oil on my index finger and run it under my LO's tongue (back and forth) several times/day for 1.-14 days. Dr. Kotlow has a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62pZw0LqYv8 that shows what to do.

Once you are sure weight gain and nursing are going well, you can let baby sleep longer stretches of even up to 8 hours or so. But expect this to vary, most babies do not sleep this long at this age and will go back and forth quite a bit with the night sleeping length and that is normal. At 8 weeks, even when there have been no problems, a one time sleep stretch of 5 hours would probably be the most you want baby to do with any regularity (and less is normal). In any case, I would suggest still being sure to nurse AT LEAST 8-10 times a day.

She cluster feeds a lot (usually for 30 minutes every hour to hour and a half) before bed. Is each of those feeds counted as 1 feed???

If you mean she nurses popping on and off for a total of about 30 minutes and then nurses again in an hour, I would call the 30 minutes on and off one sesson and the one an hour later another session. On the other hand, if my baby nursed really well for, say, 10 minutes, fell asleep, and then nursed really nicely again a half hour later, I would probably call those two sessions. What 'counts' as a session is always going to be a little bit in the eye of the beholder. Does that help at all?