Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 weeks, OALD question, fussiness question (ftm)

Default 3 weeks, OALD question, fussiness question (ftm)

Thank you all so much for being here )

We just hit three weeks yesterday, have been breast feeding since about an hour after my scheduled C-section (she was breech, there weren't any complications). She was, and remains, an eager eater, and a very determined sleeper. We usually change her before feedings, because she nurses to sleep. Her "output" is properly yellow, if a bit watery lately, and her weight gain has been good so far. All that said, I am experiencing a lot of pain. About half of the time it hurts like crazy when she is on and the pain lingers a long time afterward, worse on the right than the left. I had been nursing pretty much exclusively in the cradle hold because it felt the most natural and I now realize that I should probably move her around a bit to see if that helps. She sleeps two or three hours between feedings, eats 15-40min per side, usually about 20min. During the day she'll take both sides regularly, at night usually just one. I have lipstick nipple pretty much every time, but no blebs or bleeding. My breasts were nice and soft for a few days after my milk came in and normalized, but yesterday and today I am getting more hardness/fullness and discomfort. The last few days I've noticed a more severe prickly sensation with letdown, and a drinking fountain effect when I try to express a bit before nursing (to soften things enough for her little mouth to grab on) or when she breaks away. We both get very milky! The symptoms of OALD sound * really * familiar - especially the clicking sound, pulling away/clamping down OUCH! and some increasing gassyness. Oh, and I haven't pumped at all yet, though as I said I've been expressing as much as I need to to soften an over-full breast.

Other than moving her around and trying to get a deeper latch, is there anything I should be doing?

Wow, I sound so calm, the magic of the light of day and a cup of coffee! She nursed pain-free on the left for about 45min just now, she is mostly asleep and looking mighty pleased, but my right nipple still hurts from last night and I am trying not to think about the next feeding - the physical dread is almost worse than the actual pain.

As for my fussiness question: Sometimes, usually in the evening, she will want to eat constantly for about 4 hours - I assume this is a cluster feeding. It wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the pain, and the fussiness. She will kick and flail and pull off to cry. My DH is great at calming her down, sometimes even getting her to sleep when it is clear that she is just worked up and not hungry (after, say, two straight hours of eating). Should I stop trying to feed her when she is like this? I don't want to cause problems if it is growth spurt related, but when she gets so frustrated I can't even begin to adjust her latch and she ends up hurting me.

Default Re: 3 weeks, OALD question, fussiness question (ftm)

Hi mama, and welcome! It's amazing what peace daylight can bring, isn't it? I was like that for a long time...things would be so painful at night, and I would swear that I was going to call someone in the morning for help...and then things would be a little better for a bit during the day, and I would tell myself that it wasn't bad enough to get help. Then the nighttime would come...rinse and repeat! If there's any way you can get hands-on help from a lactation consultant, or call your local LLL leader, I would encourage you to do it sooner rather than later. The lipstick nipples and pain suggest a possible latch issue, and the sooner you can correct it, the better! Has your baby been checked for tongue tie or upper lip tie? Those can sometimes cause latch issues/mishapen nipples. The other possibility is thrush, especially since you would have had antibiotics with your section. Definitely get some hands-on help to sort out these issues!

ETA: about the fussiness in the evening, if she's too upset to nurse, you can definitely have your husband calm her down, and then offer again when she isn't quite so agitated.

Thanks so much for your encouragement. We saw an IBCLC today who confirmed my diagnosis of the situation and gave me a few tips to keep from flooding the baby when my letdown is too forceful We're doing much better.

Glad to hear it