Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question on breast size changes during the day and pumping

Default Question on breast size changes during the day and pumping

I work full time and pump while I'm away from my 4.5 month old daughter. I'm away around 10 hours total, and pump 4 times, getting between 12 and 17 ounces. I'm pretty happy with my production at this point. I use an Avent double electric pump.
    My question is, like many women, I have more milk in the morning and less in the afternoon/evening. For me, that means my breasts are much larger in the morning. They seem to fit the pump better in the morning, and have better compression in the flanges. In the afternoon, more of my breast gets sucked in to the flange - it doesn't hurt, but I think the compression goes way way down. Any ideas? Anyone else have the same issue? The LC I have seen before had shown me some little funnel-like flange things in different sizes that you can use to add to your pump. Would those be helpful? TIA!

Default Re: Question on breast size changes during the day and pumpi

I think that getting some diffent sized shields is at least worth a try!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Question on breast size changes during the day and pumpi

i notice the same thing too. i just figure we're fuller in the morning as our bodies have had the night to recoup (despite night feedings) and the pump is just not as efficient as LO. have you noticed by friday (after a week of daily pumpings) you're not as full as monday? i do. let me know if those flanges work! seems like you're getting really good output nonetheless! i pump 3 x and am soo happy when I get 10 oz!