Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 month old finally latching, but what next?

Default 2 month old finally latching, but what next?

My son was in the ICU for the first week, and though I tried hard to nurse when he finally came home, in the end I gave in to pumping several times a day and giving him bottles all the time. In the last 2 weeks I tried again, and he had no interest whatsoever, but it was suggested to me to try a nipple shield because it's similar to the feel of the bottle, and he latched on right away! I was hoping to gradually shift from bottles all day to nursing most of the time, but what I'm trying so far isn't working, and it seems like both he and I are getting very frustrated. Any tips on how to make a gradual switch from bottles to nursing?
    Last edited by @llli*ariella414; February 6th, 2013 at 01:23 PM.

Default Re: 2 month old finally latching, but what next?

This link covers all the ways I know of to get a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/ The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are said to be especially helpful.

Can you describe the nature of the frustration you're experiencing? Maybe we can help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I transitioned from bottles to breast when my LO was 7 weeks. Skin to skin was essential to making the switch. I also used an SNS. This seemed to help give him some reward for his efforts. Now he prefers the breast to the bottle.

Is baby latching AND NURSING? or just latching and sitting there?

If baby is latching and nursing, the next step is to encourage baby to nurse very frequently. The more baby nurses, then you can begin to reduce pumping sessions and supplementation. This part of it is largely a matter of confidence. Kellymom has a good article on weaning off formula supplements, but if you are already feeding him your expressed milk mostly, then your production is good and you can move more quickly probably. and if you give us more specifics as mommal asked we can offer suggestions.

If baby is latching but then not doing anything, try the suggestions in the article mommal linked. And an lactation aid as suggested above can be helpful as well is either case.