Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I worry? Weight dropping

Default Should I worry? Weight dropping

Dear mamas!

My baby boy and I just came back from his 4 months check up_He is 18 weeks and 1day today_ and he has dropped on the 6 percentile on the growth chart. The doctor seems worried and gave me the "start him on rice cereals" speech.
    A little bit of history. He was born 7lb 14 oz. and today he was 12lb 6oz. He started dropping on the chart since his 6 weeks appointment.
    6 weeks_ 10lb 0 oz.
    8 weeks_ 10lb 8 oz.
    12 weeks_ 11lb 0 oz.
    18 weeks_ 12lb 6 oz.
    Also his head circumference dropped to 18% . Is this normal?
    His wet diapers are good and he is an alert and happy baby. He nurses every 2- 2.5hrs and even at night does not go longer than 4hrs without nursing. He has never been a "big baby", he is very "tall" though_ 25in today.The pediatrician says I should start him on rice cereal to "see how it goes." I'm not sure (I KNOW) I should not. She even told me that "he might spit up" at first and when I told her that it is because he has not lost the thrust reflex yet, she said I could wait until 5 months. I was planning to introduce solids at 6 months_ or when he is ready_ and follow the baby led weaning method. Now I am confused. I guess I just need some reassurance mamas. Maybe I just have a lean baby and there is nothing to worry about?

Thank you!!!
    Peace and Happiness.

Default Re: Should I worry? Weight dropping

I wouldn't start him on cereals, since introducing solids typically does not increase the baby's growth rate. If you're concerned about his vitamin intake, I'd give him a dropperful of baby vitamins.

I have to admit that your baby's growth pattern does have me a bit flummoxed. He's not a heavy baby, and his head circumference has decreased (though you don't say what it was before...?), but his height seems to be on track. So, yeah, maybe you just have a lean baby. But he's also a baby I'd keep a close eye on. If his head circumference keeps dropping or his height suddenly stalls... I'd want to do some sort of more thorough evaluation of what could be going on.

Sorry, I know that's not the reassuraing reply you were hoping for.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh now I am worried
    Head circumference at
    Birth was 36.8cm/90.05 %
    8 weeks_39cm/ 34%
    18 weeks_41cm/ 18%

How worried should I be? Anything else I should be doing apart from vitamins?

Thank you!
    Peace and Happiness.

I think I would get a second opinion from another pediatrician, honestly. Because I would be somewhat concerned about that steep of a drop in head circ. percentiles and rice cereal is not going to fix anything.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

We're not saying that anything is wrong. We're not pediatricians, we're just strangers on the Internet! And you say your baby is alert and happy, and you're nursing on demand at a nice high frequency- that means a lot. But based on those percentiles- well, if it were my baby I'd want someone to take a second look.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thank you mamas! I will definitely look for a second opinion.
    Peace and Happiness.

Let us know what doc #2 says! Hopefully it will be something along the lines of " don't worry, he's gorgeous."

His weight is more then expected! Average weight gain of 1lb a month from LOWEST(not birth) weight. Assuming lowest weight was around 7lbs hes gained 5lbs(5months worth of gain) in only 4months. Most important is seeing his milestones and overall demeanor and diaper count.

Hi Mama! Welcome to the forum I think I would look for a second opinion as well, but I would also encourage you not be totally freaked out. We have friends who's daughter has always had a small head, like 10% or something! lol She's 15m now and absolutely awesome! My own DD has been as low as 6% on the weight chart. Every baby is different, and being a FTM, I was absolutely panicked when my daughter was "so low" on the chart. But 1) the chart is just a chart, not an end all be all of baby health and 2) there are just as many healthy and happy babies at 5% as there are at 95%. You say yourself he is happy and alert, and you are nursing great and his diapers are good. So vitamins, another docs opinion and if you are really worried, in the mean time I would sneak in another nursing session! DD would sometimes go every 1.5h nursing, so you could try to get another in for more calories. Keep us in the loop!!

Thank you mamas for your support!
    I started him on vitamins and got an appointment with another pediatrician for the end of the month. Also I am hoping to make an appointment with an a IBCLC . And yes I started offering the breast more often, because it is true that during the day he has been more distracted. Hopefully all this will help.

Thank you!
    Peace and Happiness.