Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump weaning schedule

Default Pump weaning schedule

Hi! I am looking forward to pump weaning next month and I wanted to run my weaning schedule by any veteran pumpers to see if this sounds ok. I know everyone is different and this might change depending on how I'm feeling during the day. As you will see, I plan on going as slowly as possible, but with the goal to be fully pump weaned by DDs first birthday April 6th.

I normally pump 2x a day for 10 minutes and my DD comes to nurse on my lunch break.
    Starting the week of March 11th:

Week 1: pump 3x 10min first two sessions and 5 minutes last session of the day. no nursing lunch break My DH is going to start having lunch at home of solids and some EBM and water with DD starting this week instead. We do BLW if this makes any difference and I think she is enjoying eating solids and is doing well.

Week 2: pump 2x 10 min; 5 min; drop last session

Week 3: pump 2x 5 min; 5 min

Week 4: pump 1x 5 min at lunch (dropping first session)

Now, the possible wrench in my plan. I asked off work for the week after DDs first bday. (Poor planning on my part!) Am I going to mess up all my pump weaning work if I am at home nursing DD on demand all week and then go back to work without pumping? I am planning on bringing a manual pump to work to express if I feel uncomfortable.

Love to have any opinions/advice!
    Thanks!

Edited to add: I am NOT planning on weaning DD anytime soon. I hope to nurse her as long as it works out for us. I am just ready to get rid of this pump!
    Last edited by @llli*etoile; February 5th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.

Default Re: Pump weaning schedule

I think this schedule would probably work. But IMO it's probably not really necessary to make it so complicated or to take so long to do it. You could just drop the schedule altogether and pump when you get uncomfortably engorged. I was only pumping twice a day by the time I pump weaned (LO was 13-14 mos old) and I just stopped one day. I had my pump there in case I needed it, but I never did. I was definitely full by the time I got off work, but LO always nursed first thing when I picked her up anyway. I wouldn't worry about your week off. Usually by the time your LO is a year old your supply adjusts so quickly to any changes its just somehow there when you need it and not there when you don't.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks! My husband is saying the same thing about not making it so complicated. So you think that I should probably just pump normally through the rest of March and play it by ear when I get back to work? Thanks again I really appreciate it!

If it were me that's probably what I would do. I'd definitely wait until after the first birthday to start eliminating pumping sessions because your LO will still need it during the day (unless you have a huge stash built up) and just to protect your supply in general (though you'd be getting close enough to a year you probably wouldn't need to worry too much about that).

Now if you have a history of having a lot of plugged ducts or mastitis or something you might want to be more careful and wean off the pump more slowly.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Ok, thanks for the input. I have a small stash but probably not enough for more than a week, so that is telling me I need to keep pumping until DD is 1. ( I guess I was jumping the gun a little!) So, I think I will start slowly pump weaning after I come back from my week off of work after DD turns 1. But probably not as slow as I had originally planned. Maybe give myself two weeks instead of a month.
    Thanks again for letting me think out loud and for the advice.