Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does engorgement really get better?

Default Does engorgement really get better?

HI - I am starting to wean DS, but I can't imagine how this is going to work.

Already, at night he wakes only once to eat, from one side, and by the time DS eats in the night, that one breast is in need of emptying, and by morning, the other breast is huge and engorged.

When I drop a feeding, such as the 3:00 pm or a 5:00 pm feeding (the last feeding that he takes a significant amount of milk), I can't imagine I will be able to make it through the night without needing to express MANY times. How does this work?

Default Re: Does engorgement really get better?

Engorgement really DOES get better. What I did was weaned VERY slowly. While I didn't schedule it out, my DS was pretty regimented in his feedings at 12 months, so it was fairly easy to decide which feeding to drop. I also only fed one breast at each feeding, from the time he was about 4 months old. My advice would be to systematically drop one feeding at a time, giving you and your lo at least a week in between to get used to the drop in feedings. I actually went weeks sometimes between dropped feedings. Yes, you'll still have some engorgement, but for me it faded within a few days after dropping a feeding.

Try to avoid too much pumping while you're doing the weaning, unless you are super uncomfortable...it may just prolong the engorgement issues.

HTH

Lisa

Thank you Lisa. I was wondering if I should start pumping before bed to help alleviate discomfort during the night, but then of course that's another session to eventually get rid of. Any advice on that? Anyone?

well I used to get woken up I was so engorged. I would express enough to get comfortable but not enough for it to constitute a feeding. Eventually my body got the message that I just didn't need to produce as much.

Does your lo have a feeding right before bed? Or did that one get cut? Yes, if you pump before bed, you will still have to cut that one at some point, since your body thinks the baby is feeding! Anyway, if you find you need to pump to be comfortable, I'd suggest gradually weaning down the length of time you pump. Eventually, your body will get the picture that it doesn't need to make as much. Of course, only pump enough to feel comfortable.

Lisa