Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cabbage leaves, drying up, and tears

Default Cabbage leaves, drying up, and tears

Hi All,
    I am preparing to wean starting next month when my DD turns 2. (Reason: am over 40, in a hurry to get pg again, and heavy nursing is keeping me from ovulating properly...I've done my homework (thank you Eve!) and am sure this is what's going on.)
    I'm dreading this process; because of my DD's persistence and my inability to say "no", we've gotten nowhere with gradual weaning. The only thing that has worked is being apart during the day.
    So, I've used cabbage leaves with great success in the past to treat blocked ducts, and am considering their use to dry up my supply. I may take DD to Granny for a couple of nights to facilitate this. But how long does it take to decisively stop a milk supply? If I were to let her nurse for comfort after the cabbage process, would that get the lactation hormones revved up again?
    As you can probably tell, I'm not really sure what path to take. Maybe I need tips on how to deal with raging tears rather than cabbage! I've tried every distraction technique I can think of, but she's not to be put off. If I could get pg and keep nursing I would, but this doesn't appear to be an option.
    Thanks
    Nora Daisy

Default Re: Cabbage leaves, drying up, and tears

I really have no experience with this but, I thought I could at the very least offer you some support...
    I have a very persistant, sassy little girl who will turn 2 in a month, so I know a little about crying (she and I ). Whenever she wants something I don't want her to have, I divert her attention to something else, and while she was weaning if I thought she wanted to nurse (before she would grab my chest) I would offer her a sippy cup. When putting her to bed, my husband would read and sing to her with out me being in the room.

I do believe that if you do nurse her after the "cabbage", you will stimulate milk production. My daughter weaned over 2 months ago and sometimes I still leak bm.

While she was weaning my hormones went hay wire, they are still not back to normal, but, I can see how you might be having trouble getting pregnant. I had some cervical issues prior to getting pregnant with dd and so tried Vitex Fruit in capsule form. It really helped me, you may want to research it more. I won't use it to help my hormones because it helps with fertility and I don't want to get pregnant right now.

Good luck!

knmama

Thanks for the reply! I'm intrigued by the Vitex idea. Will investigate!
    Sincerely,
    Nora Daisy

Since mothers can relactate long after "drying up," your best bet is decreased stimulation, regardless of what you use to decrease milk supply (sage and peppermint are said to help too). I've been where you are with a 2 year old... not trying to get pregnant, just wanting to wean... and I can tell you from personal experience that weaning at 2.5 has been SOOOOOO much easier! My little girl is suddenly able to work with kid scissors, go away for the day with daddy, miss a nap and be just fine (tired, but not a train wreck) and now asks if its TIME to nurse. I'll say no not right now and she whines a little then asks for candy or something (which I'll admit she has a good chance of getting if she hasn't had any that day). She no longer spends half her energy telling me what to do and now spends long stretches playing by herself or with other kids. She is down to 2 or 3 a day and is coping just fine... and wants me to throw her a weaning party when she's all done. I do drink sage tea on occasion in hopes that it makes a difference, but it doesn't really. Playgrounds and art projects have done much more for the weaning process.