Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 month old suddenly refusing bottles

Default 11 month old suddenly refusing bottles

I am working since my baby was 8 weeks. He has never been great with bottles and it took a lot of effort to get him to take a bottle when I returned to work (tried many different kinds of bottles and it was a struggle for a month). After doing ok for so many months he stopped accepting a bottle and just wants to get milk from me.... But I work 60 hrs a week.
    We tried sippy cup, regular cup, different bottles.... Nothing works... Nanny needs to spoon feed breastmilk or mix it with cereal. He does not drink water or any other liquid either. He eats some solids and is ok with them.
    I don't know what happened and what should I do? The only thing I can think about... He started to walk and started refusing bottles at the same time. Does it have something to do with a new developmental milestone? Will it get better? If anyone has similar experience.

Default Re: 11 month old suddenly refusing bottles

Hi! and welcome! I feel your pain! I had a similar question in the pumping forum about my DD refusing bottles at 9 mos.
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ntinue-to-pump

She was almost crawling at that point and had a cold a month prior which made it hard to drink from a bottle so those two things could be part of the issue.

I'm not sure my thread will help you with getting the milk into your LO but at least know that you are not alone; Perhaps others will have more ideas about working with cups etc. My DD is now 10 months old and we have pretty much given up on bottles. She will finally drink from valveless sippy cups and does so 2x a day or whenever my DH offers (usually after a nap and playtime-and repeat the schedule as needed). She also still comes to nurse on my lunch break, but I'm not sure if that is an option for you. She also ramped up the evening, night and weekend nursing. I think mixing the milk in with cereal and other solids is a good idea.

Good luck and I hope others can weigh in as well!

Thank you for your advise and your prior post!!!
    We gave up with bottles. It`s been a month now. He does not want to drink milk from any types of cups, but he takes a sip or two of water from a cup. My nanny spoonfeeds BM to my DS. She says it does not bother her. We also add milk and water to his solids, since he barely drinks anything at all when I am at work. He still makes descent number of wet and dirty diapers. When I am at home I just nurse him, but we keep trying offering a cup every day.

You're welcome! Sorry to hear your DS is still not interested in bottles but that is awesome that your nanny will spoon feed him the milk. My DD started accepting a bottle for a few weeks after her initial rejection and is off and on not drinking from the bottle again. She will spit out the milk or water while drinking from a sippy cup but will drink a little so that is something. Like you, we started giving her more watery solids and juicy fruits while I am away from her. I'm sure your DS will catch on to the cup soon. Good luck!