Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feels Like Square One (Long)

Default Feels Like Square One (Long)

So I have posted on and off since my youngest was born back in June. We were plagued with problems in the beginning. Poor lip seal, weak suck, reflux, shallow latch, inverted nipples, thrush, mastitis, low milk transfer, the list could go on and on. My nipples were sore, I was frustrated exhausted and miserable. Lilly screamed all the time and fought me when she nursed. Then all at once things got better. We started therapy with the OT and we changed reflux meds. All of a sudden I had a new child who smiled, was more independent and was flying through developmental milestones.

Over the past month however, Lilly has been fighting ear infection. She is on her third round of antibiotics since the end of December. WIth each ear infection her latch has gotten worse and more painful. Also, she is in pain when she nurses due to ears. Now even though the infection is clearing, she is still pulling on the nipple and pulling off the breast. SHe is also doing some biting. I am to the point once again where my nipples are cracked and bloody no matter how much I readjust or use lanolin.

Lilly is 7 months now, and I have come to far to quit, but I am tired of tearing up everytime she latches. Any one with new suggestions or just some words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Feels Like Square One (Long)

3 rounds of antibiotics, huh? Makes me wonder if maybe the discomfort you are both in might be due to thrush. Are you seeing any symptoms, like:
    - yeast diaper rash in baby
    - white patches in baby's mouth
    - vaginal yeast in mom
    - nipples appearing more red/pink/shiny than normal
    - dry, itchy, or flaky skin in the nipple areola
    - multiple small, slit-like cracks (like you'd get from dry skin)
    - burning or itching sensations, particularly between feedings

You are totally a trooper for continuing on!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I thought it might be thrush again because we had it once before, but I am not seeing the white in Lilly's mouth. I do however have the small cracks everywhere and burning between and during feedings.

Is there a way to tell for sure. I hate to treat if there is really no reason. Plus the meds for Lilly are nasty.

I don't know if there's a way to tell for sure. But I do know that it is possible to have one member of the nursing pair be asymptomatic, though both are infected- so you wouldn't necessarily see the white patches in the baby's mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I took your advice and started treatment for yeast. 5 days of diflucan nystatin ointment for in between and the nystatin liquid for Lilly. After about 4 days I started to feel better, but it has been 4 days since my last does of diflucan and I feel like I never took anything.
    My nipples have been bleeding to the point that when Lilly spit up today it had a pink tinge. I hurt, I am miserable and I don't know what to do.
    Our latch has never been great but we have limped along and managed to thrive. Could something have made her latch worse or is the cracking and bleeding simply a really bad case of thrush.
    Do I call the doctor back and do another round of treatment? Do we let it go and hope it gets better? I am really at a loss here. Even though this is my second child we never experienced this.

It sounds like things were getting better with the thrush treatment, but the course was really short. From what I've read (and experienced), you need treatment for at least a week after symptoms disappear to ensure that it's gone. So yeah, I'd ask for another round (or two!) if you found it was helping.