Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding after 10 days of doxycycline antibiotic

Unhappy Breastfeeding after 10 days of doxycycline antibiotic

My question is will my milk supply dry up or run out after being placed on the antibiotic Doxycycline for 10 days and not being able to breastfeed during those very long 10 days? I have a pump and have been pumping when they get full but am afraid I will run out of milk before I am allowed to breastfeed again. I have to wait another 24 hours (7pm today before its safe) to start again. Will my milk supply fill back up again once they are stimulated to produce more milk? I really don't want to keep giving my baby formula because I love her and think if I breastfeed she will be healthier. Please help

Default Re: Breastfeeding after 10 days of doxycycline antibiotic

You should be able to maintain supply if you pump enough. You will need to use a good pump (not just a hand pump!) and pump about as often as your baby would nurse, or even more frequently. Aim for about 2-3 hours MAXIMUM in between pumping sessions. Don't wait to "fill up" before you pump- every time you can feel yourself getting full when not nursing, your body is getting the message that there isn't much demand and it will reduce supply.

If your supply dips while you are exclusively pumping, don't feel like that's an irretrievable loss. Once you are nursing again, your supply should rebound rapidly.

Finally, please contact the Infant Risk Center (http://www.infantrisk.com/) for a definitive answer about whether or not you absolutely need to avoid nursing while on doxy. Many women are given overconservative advice concerning the use of antibiotics during breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"