Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping- back to work

Default Pumping- back to work

Things have just often on track with nursing again and what do you know I'm going back to work next week and things are going to get all mixed again. I have some milk frozen from December when I was pumping to deal with engorgment I can use the first day back and then use my pumped milk for the next day back ect. Should I do that? Also, I only nurse one breast at a time right now, should I pump both or one at work? Will I even be able to pump enough from one? She ate 4 ounces from my freezer stash the other night while I was out and I pumped both when I got home and only got 3.5 ounces (I did cut it short because I didn't wanna over-do-it since I finally just got my milk balanced out). Also, I nurse every 2 hours at home, but will be lucky if I get to pump every 3 at work, will that be ok? Hoe often should my husband bottle feed her while I'm at work? Sorry for so many questions, all of the advice on here has been great and my daughter and I are starting to enjoy nursing and i just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to keep things going smoothly.

Default Re: Pumping- back to work

Hi mama,
    Yes, use your frozen milk for the first day back and then each subsequent day you use your fresh milk that you pumped the day before. Pump both breasts at work at the same time - much more efficient that way. If you usually pump every 2 hours at home from one breast at a time, that means you're pumping a given breast every 4 hours at home. So if you pump both breasts every 3 hours you are keeping up with what you usually do. Average pumping times are 15-20 minutes, some mothers need longer and some shorter - you'll see based on your supply (and we can help once you see how things are going!).

Here are some links for bottle-feeding a breastfed baby that you can go over with your husband:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/e...reastfed-baby/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

A typical "meal" for a breastfed baby is 2-3 ounces. So that is what she should be taking. So when you pumped 3.5 ounces that was just right. 4 ounces is the max she should be drinking. The rule of thumb is 1 - 1.5 ounces/hour. So if she's feeding every 2 hours, that gets you to 2-3 ounces. If she normally is nursing every 2 hours, she can take the bottle every 2 hours, but again, shouldn't be more than 2-3 ounces at a time to mimic what she would be doing at the breast.

Good luck, the transition back to work can be stressful but it usually gets better after a few days. And if you find you have more questions as you get back to work please come back and ask them!

Oh thank you so much! I feel much less anxious going back now that I know exactly what I should be doing! I'm only going 2 days next week them 3 the next two weeks to slowly transition, so ill certainly let you know of I have any more questions.. Thanks again

You're welcome, that's great that you can ease back into it!