Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at night? What am I doing wrong?

Default Pumping at night? What am I doing wrong?

I'm starting to feel like a crazy person, but I just don't understand how this works. Baby boy is nearly 6 months old. I send five 7-oz bottles of breastmilk to daycare (he eats four and they want one more than I think he'll need) plus I nurse him at 6 am before I go to work. In order to get those 28 daycare oz (I usually have the additional seven left over from the day before), I pump three times at work, at 10 pm and again at 2 am. And I'm still only getting around 25 oz (on a good day) so I do it on the weekends, as well, in order to have some frozen to make up the difference during the week. Everyone says that I shouldn't get up in the middle of the night to pump (baby boy has been sleeping through the night since 10 weeks) but the math doesn't work for me to get the oz for him if I only pump during the day. What am I doing wrong?

Default Re: Pumping at night? What am I doing wrong?

He eats 7 oz of breastmilk at a time? That sounds like waay too much. How long are you away from him during the day? I think it's supposed to be more like 3-4oz at once, isn't it? Here's the link to the kellymom article about how much milk baby needs http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

And why do they want a full extra bottle than he needs, especially if he hasn't been taking it? It's sometimes hard enough to pump just what baby takes, nevermind that much extra! What do they think you're pumping, formula??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*amp218 View Post
    I'm starting to feel like a crazy person, but I just don't understand how this works. Baby boy is nearly 6 months old. I send five 7-oz bottles of breastmilk to daycare (he eats four and they want one more than I think he'll need) plus I nurse him at 6 am before I go to work. In order to get those 28 daycare oz (I usually have the additional seven left over from the day before), I pump three times at work, at 10 pm and again at 2 am. And I'm still only getting around 25 oz (on a good day) so I do it on the weekends, as well, in order to have some frozen to make up the difference during the week. Everyone says that I shouldn't get up in the middle of the night to pump (baby boy has been sleeping through the night since 10 weeks) but the math doesn't work for me to get the oz for him if I only pump during the day. What am I doing wrong?
    You are pumping and sending ENTIRELY TOO MUCH that's why. The math doesn't add up because they are feeding your child the amount he needs to eat in 24hours. And yeah I am sure he eats that amount. Because bottle fed babies eat until the bottle is gone. NOT because they need that much. No breastfed baby EVER gets 7oz from his mother at one time. It's too much. It sounds like they don't have any experience with Breastfed children. Whose quantity of milk DOES NOT go up as they get older. Because the nutritional composition changes as they get older. So they don't need more. I would start baby backing these bottles from 7-6oz and then from 6-5oz. And even THEN it's too much. But those extra oz that you are pumping can be moved to later days or frozen. At this point you are allowing them to squander your milk. Because they are feeding it to him when he doesn't really need it.

Way too lazy for formula

It really does sound like they're overfeeding him. Good luck figuring this out.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

Yes, of course you can't keep up with pumping that much! Breastfed babies typically eat 20-30 oz of breastmilk in a whole 24 hour day, and he is getting that much just while he's at daycare, plus still nursing from you when you're together. It does sound like your daycare doesn't have much experience with breastfed babies, and also that they may be relying too much on feeding to comfort him without trying other methods. My son never took a bottle larger than 4-4.5 oz in his entire first year. 3-4 oz is a normal size bottle for breastfed babies. 7 oz is much too much. He should be taking about 1 to 1.5 oz per hour he's away from you, so in a typical 8 hour workday, no more than 12 oz. Sounds like you need to educate your daycare providers and work on cutting back the size of the bottles. (Make sure they are feeding in a way that's supportive of breastfeeding--take a look at this link here: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf). Also make sure you are using the slowest flow nipple possible so it takes longer for your baby to take the bottle and he can begin to feel when he's full. If the nipple drips when you turn the bottle upside down, the flow is too fast and you either need a slower flow nipple, or the nipple is worn out and should be replaced (the hole in the nipple enlarges over time, with use, so they do wear out and need replacement).

Also, if the daycare is concerned about having an extra bottle on hand in case he's especially hungry, can you give them some frozen milk to keep in the freezer for the days it's needed? That way you aren't wasting a whole bottle that's not getting used.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I agree with the pp, the daycare is overfeeding him hugely. They ate using formula rules and that just doesn't apply. However that said, at this age you should still keep that 2 am pump session in to keep supply up or dream feed him while he sleeps.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Reallly? Cuz I think if she can pump 28oz in 4 sessions she can probably drop the 2am feeding. And then when she curbs back what she is sending she will able to BANK milk.

Way too lazy for formula

Baby's only 6 months, so I'm thinking that 2 am session still has value in terms of keeping her supply on the higher side, enabling her to have a better chance of keeping her pump output sufficient for the rest of the first year. That being said, she can always try cutting out the 2 am session, and seeing what happens. Maybe if she can get the daycare to stop massively overfeeding the baby during the day, he'll stop sleeping through and then it will be a moot point.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

FWTW I personally would cut the 10 pm session, move to a 1am session and see how that works. I couldn't have gone that long and kept my pumping supply up long term, of course both my kids nursed all night so it never mattered!
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well at this point based on my math she is so completely overproducing during the day that she can cut that session and if she starts feeding the baby what he is SUPPOSED to eat she will have left over from those other 4 sessions.

Way too lazy for formula