Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush - several questions

Default Thrush - several questions

I'm currently treating myself and my 6.5 week old for thrush. We are only on the second day of treatment, so I know it is early to ask, but how long does it typically take to cure a case of thrush? I know that it is recommended to continue treatment for two weeks after symptoms stop, so will my doctor prescribe another round of the medication? What we have certainly won't last that long. My pediatrician told me to talk to my obgyn about an rx for me, but she just told me to go with lotrimin. So, I'm soaking each breast in a solution of vinegar and water after each feeding, air drying and then putting the lotrimin on. New breast pads after each feeding, as well. Should I be doing anything else?
    Also, baby broke out with a rash on her face. Because she has reflux and will often spit up while sleeping, I'm thinking it may be the thrush appearing on her face from the saliva that is left on her cheek until I come in to feed her and clean it off. The rash seems to get better during the day. I'm putting aquaphor on her face before I put her down - should I be using something stronger?

Thanks in advance! I never thought I would be dealing with this!

PS should add that I am not eating dairy due to lactose intolerance in baby, so yogurt for me is out.

Default Re: Thrush - several questions

Yeah, thrush sucks!
    There are a couple of good pages for thrush treatment, Dr. Newman's candida protocol here http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP and Dr. Jay Gordon's thrush treatment http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html . I particularly found the grapefruit seed extract (GSE) to be helpful.
    Are you having nipple pain? If so, Dr. Newman's all-purpose nipple ointment would be helpful (the steroid in it helps to decrease inflammation), you'd need a script for that. Are you having deep breast pain? If so, the topical lotrimin might not be enough to treat the yeast in the ducts. In that case, you can try the GSE capsules and probiotics, and if that doesn't do it, a script for some diflucan from your doc might be in order.

What treatment is your LO on? there's some debate over whether nystatin is an effective treatment for thrush, due to the sugar content. So if you don't notice an improvement within a couple days, you could try diluted GSE in your LO's mouth several times/day.

There's been a lot of talk about thrush on the boards in the past month, so if you do a search, you'll find some info from other moms. Good luck!