Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unhappy with choices - long post

Default Re: Unhappy with choices - long post

The leaking is good news! The breast refusal much less so... But be patient. You're changing your baby's mind about something which is fundamental for her. The more patient and calm and happy you can be about this, the better. Even if she latches for just a second or two and then refuses, you're still gotten her to latch on. Small steps, mama.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, nice to have some encouragement!

So a little more progress today I think, she latched quite a bit, the best nursing I get from her is when still dozy from waking up. She is normally satisfied for a couple of hours in the mornings. Small steps like you say, makes it feel more achievable. I should have a couple of days free next week so I can take her to bed and try to nurse lots too.

Ok so thought I'd update on our progress, the truth is we are not really making any despite trying all sorts of things. She will only feed when waking up and sleepy. I have been pumping and my supply increased quickly combined with trying at any time she's sleepy. She's 17 weeks now and I'm sad that it may be getting too late. Last week I met up with some friends from a pregnancy class and all are successfully breastfeeding and enjoying it and I came home feeling such a failure and cried so much. I know so much more now and I wish I could go back, i just don't know what to do, trying to fit in pumping is getting so stressful, I'm so emotional over it all, should i just accept its not worked out and move on? I don't know what to do.

I'm sorry that your hard work hasn't resulted in a big payoff! But I really don't think you should feel so crushed and hopeless. First of all, your baby is nursing, albeit just a few times a day. A long as she remembers how to latch and is willing to latch, you have a good shot at getting her back to the breast 100%. Second, you got your supply back! I know that took a lot of work and time, but it's a sign that whatever other problems you have, supply isn't one of them.

I totally get it that this is stressful. And I wish I could tell you whether or not it's time to move on- I know I wished that same thing when I was struggling to nurse my firstborn- that someone would come and tell me the answer to all the super-emotional questions I was struggling with. But the only one who really knows the answer to your situation... Is you. Just know that whatever you choose to do next, you have lots of support from the mamas here! We know how hard nursing a baby can be, and how rewarding, and how frustrating... So if you want to go forward with just nursing a few times a day and pumping when you can, that's okay! And if you want to keep trying to maintain a good supply and get the baby back to the breast, that's good, too!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"