Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipstick nipple - a catastrophe?

Default Lipstick nipple - a catastrophe?

I need to get off the internet because I just find people's opinions that make me flip out. So here I am looking for reassurance. I have always had lipstick nipple when nursing, but I don't have pain. I have a bit of vasospasm as well. Do I need to be worried? I tired of finding fear mongering literature and opinions online (even though they're well meaning). My LO is gaining weight rapidly, so I'm not concerned about supply. I'm constantly working on the latch, but it's never perfect. Please don't freak me out :S He's not tongue tied, and I've seen a lactation consultant who said my latch looks ok. I think it's shallow though. Thanks!

Default Re: Lipstick nipple - a catastrophe?

A lipstick-shaped nipple is only a problem if the latch causes pain or the baby is not gaining adequate weight or producing adequate wet/poopy diapers. In the absence of pain/poor weight gain/low diaper output, lipstick nips are a quirk that will likely pass in time, as baby grows.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

no pain nursing + appropriate weight gain = all is fine with breastfeeding

Sounds like you are doing great. Do you want tips for the vasospasm?

If it makes you feel any better, I have this issue as well. My 4.5 month old has been giving me the lipstick shape, but only on one side, it's pretty weird. I think his latch has been extra shallow lately since he's been so distracted while nursing and can barely keep himself on for more than a few seconds at a time while he pops on and off to stare at me, the lights, the curtains, daddy, the cat... you see where this is going lol. Mine is also gaining weight just fine, so I don't think it's too much to worry about.
    Last edited by @llli*cprugar; February 4th, 2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Bad grammar

Ds and I outgrew this when his first teeth came in, which forced his latch to change just enough.