Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Worried about upcoming work routine change & other questions

Default Worried about upcoming work routine change & other questions

Hello ladies!

My DD is 8.5 mo, and I think we're doing pretty good so far I think. She eats about 10 times a day, and we are doing solids twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day.

I'm pumping at work 4 times and I'm doing my best to keep up with her, she's eating 4oz bottles at daycare, and sometimes I get 3 oz when I pump, so I usually pump at home before going to bed to complete the bottles.

In a week, I need to go to a different place to work, and I will be out in the field walking around doing inspections. I already have a place to pump over there, but I am worried about not being able to pump as frequently as I am in my normal office. This "trip" is a team effort, so I'll have to somehow take breaks even though they will continue with the inspections. I may need to pump 3 times instead of 4 and I'm concerned that it will not be enough to pump all the milk my LO eats. Also, I am worried about my supply...

The other thing I'm worried is our routine... I am nursing around 7 before I take her to daycare, and then she eats at 9, 11:30, 1:30-2ish and 4ish. Then I have time to get home from work and nurse at 5:30 or so. During the trip, I'll have to leave the house before 7, she usually nurses around 4-5ish and then sleeps until 7. I started pumping whenever I can this weekend to try to put some extra milk in the freezer for an extra feeding in the morning, but I don't think I can pump for 2 extra feedings. The trip will be for at least 4 days (maybe 5) and the place is 1.5 hours from home. So I am not sure I can make it on time for her feeding at 5:30-6 (if I leave at 5, al get home at 6:30 with no traffic and speeding a little!)

I am not sure what else I can do... I wish I didn't have to go!!

Also... I know I shouldn't worry about sleeping thru the night issues... But I am so tired!! She is waking at least twice at night... And she still eats every 2 hours during the day... So I can barely get things done when in with her... Not complaining, I love to nurse, but I am tired!!

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Worried about upcoming work routine change & other quest

So this is a temporary thing-only 4 or 5 days?

Your supply will be fine. pump as you can and don't worry about production. production is just not that fragile that a few days of not pumping as often is going to do anything, certainly not anything permanent. Try waking your baby before you go to nurse, (or dreamfeed, she may not need to actually wake) but don't stress if it does not happen.

4 4 ounce bottles a day is 16 ounces, which should be enough for what-about a 10 hour separation? Help me out here somepne, This is not my stong suit. But 16 ounces equals about half her daily needed intake of breastmilk. Just in general, if this is feeling like too much, it might help to leave milk in smaller amounts and make sure your caregiver is following these guidelines- http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...fyour_milk.pdf

If you really want to avoid formula and just don't have that much expressed milk to leave, what about leaving whatever you have, maybe in two or three ounce bottles, and let the caregivers do more solids as needed? and when you are home, don't do any solids and just nurse. The other alternative is donated breastmilk or formula as needed. To minimize waste, don't combine formula and breastmilk in the same bottle.

I suggest don't try to change anything re:nursing at night until this experience is over. Too many changes all at once = upset baby and usually an even more tired mom!

The rule of thumb is 1 - 1.5 ounces/hour apart. Since you're going 10.5 hours (usually) between your am and evening feed, 16 ounces is on the upper end of that. You could consider giving 3 ounce bottles, and giving 1 ounce "toppers" as needed to be eaten ONLY if she is really still hungry after the feeding. Since you're pumping 3 ounces at a time, that may really help you keep up.

For this trip, since you're going to have a lot of commuting time, how about pumping in the car? You set yourself up before you get going, put a nursing cover on, and go. You could even probably get more than one session in each way since it's such a long commute. That should help make up for missed sessions.

Good luck, I always find it stressful when I have to go on a work trip and figure out how to get my pumping in!

Thanks ladies.

So, about pumping in the car... I am carpooling since we have to take company cars. So I won't be comfortable pumping with a coworker by me!. However, I'll talk to a coworker mama here and see if she'll go in the same car (just us) and ask her if she wouldn't mind me pumping in the way... she may understand better than other coworkers! I still won't be comfortable, but if that's what I need to do, so be it!

I thought I was going to be able to pump 3 times, but it seems like it will have to be 2 because all the stuff we need to get done, and I am one of the "key" people for this trip.

I am so stressed out, it's the first time I need to change my pumping schedule and I have no idea how this will affect my body (mostly pain and engorgement... and supply as I mentioned).

Maybe I'll get "sick"

Oh, I forgot to ask...

If I cut down to 2 sessions... will I be able to get the same amount of milk? I know the milk production slows down when the milk accumulates too long, and also depends on the "storage" capacity of the breasts...

And, how about foremilk/hindmilk issues since the mild will be accumulated for longer time?

It depends on how quickly your supply responds to the decreased demand. The first day you may notice you get a similar amount as usual (just more with each session), or you may notice a littles less - it does depend on the storage capacity - if you have a large storage capacity your breasts may continue to make milk even as they fill up; if not you may see less. If your supply responds quickly to the decreased demand, you may start noticing a dropoff on subsequent days. But you'll have to see. I definitely think you should try to ride with your female coworker and pump in the car! And I would not worry about the foremilk/hindmilk thing.